The Big WILD Topic Part IX

I wonder whether doing any (not just lucid-related) self-hypnosis (using a recording) could help WILD ?

I wonder… because the vibrations you mention - are they tingly-kind of sensations? I get the latter when I listen to that kind of recording, so probably it might be the same thing…IMHO anyway…

Tried WILD again, an hour or so before I had to wake up, both breathing and counting but it did not put me to sleep… is that better cause before I would just end up sleeping deeply nonlucidly… I need the middle case where I sleep lucidly - an LD…

I was reading the forum posts about WILD, and closed my eyes for some moments. I saw an imaginary square, rotating clockwise, very much visible. What does that classify as, and could I have used that to induce a visual WILD?

You closed your eyes directly after reading the forum, or while you were laying in bed for a while attempting WILD?

In the case of the latter, I’d say the rotating square was hypnagogic imagery (HI), which is a common ‘feature’ of your body falling asleep, and your mind shutting down it’s link to the external world. This only happens after substantial relaxation, or possibly when you’re just extremely tired.

HI can certainly be used to induce WILD, and ranks up there with my all-time highest recommendations for doing so. The intensely vivid images give you something to focus on (something internal, more importantly), and allow you to retain consciousness for the duration of the onset of sleep. The fact that you saw them at all, instead of passing out beforehand as most people do, means you already remained conscious longer than usual - so just keep at it.

Eventually, the imagery before your eyes will transform into a complete scene, and you’ll no longer have any contact with the external world. You’ll be entirely within the dream.

I was on a PC reading the forum sitting on a chair! It definitely looked hypnotic to me!

While I woke up early (had to go to work early today), I slept more hours than usual this night.

Sorry to interuppt but, “Tried WILD again, an hour or so before I had to wake up,”, thankyou clarkkent for this idea. I never though of this (Stupid me!)

I’ve tried WILDing for some time with no success (probably because I’ve only every bothered trying before going to bed, I’m just too tired when waking up at night.)

Anyway, I was wondering what HH really looks like. I mean, does it look as real as seeing an object in real life, or is it like seeing with your minds eye? I mean, I could close my eyes right now and conjure up the image of a dog in my mind. This could also happen when I try WILDing, I see these really out-of-the-blue images in my minds eye, very unexpected. It doesn’t look very “real”, like I said I just see them in my mind. Would this be HH/HI?

odd2k, I’ve never imagined anything like I did that rotating square thing this morning. Never. My imagination doesn’t give me such realistic images when I normally close my eyes, not even when I’m about to sleep usually (probably because my mind would have been shutting down, right…).

from my favorit text file ‘ld-faq.txt’:

The problem is remaining conscious until your dream start. Many strange things may happen when you remain conscious until the REM-period starts. The first thing you see may be Hypnagogic Imagery. It is a pattern, like the one you see when you press your fingers against our closed eyelids. Remember that this is hypnotic, and getting too involved with them will induce unconsciousness. Just let it flow, don’t get too involved and don’t suppress them either. The next thing you may experience is Hypnagogic Sounds. It may be as real as the sounds you hear in waking reality, but they are nothing to be afraid of. It is a good indicator that the REM-period is right around the corner. Just don’t let these sounds scare you. If you start to experience Abstract Thoughts, the logical part of your brain is falling asleep and you are not far from losing consciousness. You might be lying in bed thinking about a friend and the hypnagogic imagery starts and you see your friend’s face. You have also worked a stressful day so you start to remember stocking the shelves at work. Soon you are thinking that you are putting cans of food on the shelves with pictures of your friend on them. All this might seems perfectly normal. But it’s not logical. What you need to do is try thinking logical, do some math or start over again. Tactile Sensations can feel like you are paralyzed and high-voltage painless electricity is jolting through your body. You may experience these vibrations and find yourself leaving your body or having a Lucid Dream. But remember that all this is nothing to fear, it happens every night, whether you are consciously aware of it or not.

BTW: Sleep until U can get strait into a REM (after 5-7hours) MILD is much easier!

i read this in part one of the topic and thought about it .how you started to see and hear things that werent really thereand this is about how far i got the first time i tried wild and i didnt have any vibrations or any thing…is that good for my first time i was like half asleep but i was accepting what was going on in my mind. i had been in a wedding earlier that day so i started having images and sounds and things like that about it and someone said something and spoke back when i made the decision to say something i thought it was logical but i didnt know it woukld come out of my mouth but it did and when i heard it i became aware thati was talking to nothing and then later someone asked me for something and i reached over and handed iot to them but then i realized that i had just reached over at the side of my bed and i hand my hand shaped like it was grasping something but it wasnt and it loked as if in was handing something to noone and when i did this i opened my eyes when i saw my hand like that i was like what the heck am i doing…is that what hypnagogicimagery and slound is …i thought i was having a dream but when i woke up i realized t hat it was just HI because i was very irratated because what i had mistaken for a dream did not meet my expectations…are real dreams more realistic than hypnagogic imagery and sound?

Real Dreams and hypnogogic imagery can be both very real!
but i think in Hypnogogics Imgagery you got more levels and in dreaming that is less i think.
Sound i experience always as real!

Jeff

I read on this thread that to do WILD we should wake up after some hours
sleep and then go back to sleep to do WILD. But is it ok to go to the toilet when we wake up at this time? Sorry for this practical question… would a couple of minutes make all that difference?

For WBTB, I think its best to wake yourself up a bit intentionally, but not too much so you can’t go back to sleep. It might be a good idea to write down your dreams so far too so you can get your thoughts on dreams stable. Make sure you are at least awake enough so where you don’t just plop back to sleep within a minute without even attempting to LD. This happened to me a few nights before.

You could try WILD right after awaking though, but IMO its a lot harder to stay awake unless you actually get out of bed. The advantage though is that you might enter REM faster this way, but I don’t know if thats true or not.

These are WILD’s right? I’m laying in bed all relaxed and start to lose all sensation in my body. Can’t even detect breathing. I’m asleep now but fully conscious. There is a feeling of rapid motion and I am scared. There are no images at this stage. After a little while the motion stops and a dream starts, I’m still fully aware. After a little while I see the dream fade to a void and the motion starts again. Really high speed again (I hate roler coaster rides) sometimes there’s a “clunk” as if I entered my body and I feel myself wake up. Last month this repeated 6 times in a row and I was wondering what the dickens was going on.

Had another 2 a while ago.

Any better way to handle the high speed ride? Like I said I hate roller coaster rides. I’d like to be a ble to enjoy it more without getting scared but I’ve found getting scared seems to make it work better. If you know what I mean.

Thanks. I try to write them down.

I’ll keep waking myself up a bit, then. WILD hasn’t worked for me yet, but it’s only a week or so since I began trying.

I havent been paying much attention to LDing since i started back at school :sad: I would like to try, but it is fairly impractical. Having said this I will try WILDing and stuff soon. I have dabbled with WILD, but I only succeeded in staying awake for hours before feeling too tired to be bothered and just fell asleep. Any tips (except the obvious “Dont give up”)? Is keeping a dream journal important for WILD?

Hi! :wink:
I’m a beginner in lucid dreaming but already read a lot about it.

Last night I attempted WILD for the first time. First, at 01:00 AM when I
went to bed. I concentrated at my breathing and after about 15 minutes
I started to feel very strange electricity sensation on my body. Then
I became to excited, my heart beat went mad and I lost it.
Second try was at 6:00 AM. This time I was not able to get the feeling,
gave up and had a difficult time sleeping. :eh:

This was harder than I thought… :grrr: My question is:
What is the best method for beginners, WILD or MILD?
I have some doubts that MILD will work for me because my dreams are
to crazy… So I attempted WILD first. Is it more difficult?

Thanks! :ok:

Grrr, I can’t even get the vibrations!!

Doing RCs was the best technique for me when I was a beginner… Also check out the “Lucid Living” topic; that has helped me a lot. WILD can be very hard to master, but you can still practice both WILD and MILD as a beginner. I haven’t had much success with WILD, so if you aren’t a natural at it I’d recommend MILD or doing RCs as a technique instead. But the only way to really learn WILD is to keep practicing, so if you want to master it just keep trying…

I want to try WILDing more than I can, but I have a tremendous hw load. School cuts into my time a lot, and I haven’t been getting enough sleep lately. My dream recall has been getting worse, but I remember a really strange false awakening.

Anyway, what would you suggest? It’s too much trouble to set my alarm to an early hour and then re-set it for actual wake up time. (I did try this for a while, but to no avail.) Do you think that I should try WILDing as I fall asleep? or what? I might just give up trying to LD until school is over in summer. However, that likely wouldn’t yeild great results either, because last summer I stayed awake for 24 hours and more, more than once. I should probably try to sleep more.
Anyway, what do you suggest?

I got the vibrations yesterday AFTER listening to the bwgen preset DREAM EXPERIENCE 1.4.1, while attempting a WILD before sleeping… Didn’t proceed into an LD.

With Ed’s preset this night (see the Brainwave Generator thread) I didn’t get vibrations but I got a low level lucid dream.