The BIG WILD Topic - Part X

Yeah 61-point relaxation works really well. I do it over and over until my HI gets really vivid. My problem is that i’ve accidentily moved into the dream but not been lucid.

Mmm Lucid_Adventurer then your awareness was to much out of focus…emptyness and still be aware at the same time is not so easy.
The dicipline of the far east takes years for it to master.
Practising should do the trick for you iam sure!

Jeff

Plebian

You said “not even a moderate form of SP…”

It sounds like you are back to focusing on the symptoms of WILD. Remember you said that in your first WILD you did not have HI, SP, hypnotic sounds or vibrations. You just popped into a dream fully lucid. Try not to focus so much on symptoms of WILD. In stead you need to keep letting yourself go more and more and just let things happen. Don’t worry you will get it with more practice. It is a hard balancing act of letting go and at the same time holding on to some of your consciousness. It just takes practice. If you hang in there and keep trying I have no doubt that you will get it. Good luck.

Milod - thanks for the encouragement :smile: Tried WILD at bedtime last night - no success again. When you say “just let go” this is a bit confusing because techniques like focus on body (i.e. recurrently using 61 point) need you to be aware of your body…similarly, the counting method requires focus. It is a delicate balance.

BTW - The one time I was successful at WILD I did use a focus on the body technique -I find it hard to use 61-point relaxation because after a few repetitions I can’t maintain focus…I usually am just super-aware of my body and try not to move…

Milod,

For the past two nights I’ve been using your steps on page 3 of this topic. Thanks for writing them out; I’ve been looking for some straight forward steps for WILDing :grin: I haven’t had much success yet, but this is mainly because of the fact that I keep dropping off after a bit. I’ll get to the point where I’m having HI quite vividly, but I always ‘pull out’ of the visions as soon as I realize that I’m in them. I end up telling myself to go with the flow a little more and let myself get into the “dreams” (I’m not quite sure if you’d call them that at this point), but whenever I do that I end up getting completely lost in the vision and start dreaming (I guess?), but not lucidly.

Any advice? :bored:

I’m generally just falling asleep when WILDing or like this night, a WBTB, I saw the dream images (blurry shapes but consistent) and they did not form into a dream, until I lost the images and simply fell asleep into a ND.

daysong

Thank you. I am glad that you were able to benefit from the progressive relaxation techniques I listed on this thread. These are just common progressive relaxation techniques that I used when I first started LD ing. You can find similar techniques in almost any book on meditation, stress reduction and lucid dreaming.

Just keep practicing. I’m not sure but, it sounds like you are letting yourself go too much and falling into unconscious sleep. Remember the HI is hypnotic and is you brains way of trying to put you to sleep. You want to be aware of and use HI but you don’t want to pay too much attention to it. (I hope I’m not confusing you more). Maybe try a light mental exercise like talking to your self about what is happening. Describe what you see to your self. Tell yourself that you are going into a dream. It is very hard to explain. You have to try to let go of the real world yet maintain some consciousness. You can try and change the HI into what you want to dream about. Eg try and visualize a scene at a beach or something. Keep trying different things until you find what works for you.

I would suggest that you read as much as you can on LD ing or dream yoga. Any book ,website, etc that you can get you hands on.

If you want to try something a little different start to teach yourself self hypnosis. There are many books and tapes on the market for this. I’m sure there are most likely free downloads for this on the internet. There are many tapes that use self hypnosis routines to quit smoking, stress reduction, overeating etc… That is not what you want. Try to find a tape or download that will teach you how to go into hypnosis all by your self. The way these tapes work is you play the tape, that puts you into hypnosis then will give you a suggestion that you can go into hypnoses all by your self (usually by rolling your eyes up and counting from 1-10).

What I do is:

1. use hypnosis in the beginning.
    2)Then deepen my hypnotic state.
  2. Give myself a suggestion that I will realize I am dreaming and become lucid (This is in case I fail at WILD)
  3. Use either meditation or WILD techniques.

Using deep meditation and/or hypnosis you can learn to take yourself down into the beta range which is where REM sleep occurs. By doing this, as Jeff said above, you change the rules of your sleep cycle.

Even though you are practicing wild you should still:

1. Keep a dream journal
  2. do reality checks
  3. practice MILD or any other DILD technique along with WILD.

I often find that this is a great backup for WILD. I have had times where I fell into unconscious sleep while practicing WILD and later “wake up” in my dreams.

Good luck. Happy Dreaming.

Ashuvra

Yes the feeling that you are choking or cant breath can be very distressing. Just remember that you are not choking nor did you stop breathing. Your body was going to sleep and your body took over responsability for regulating your breathing. Keep that in mind and hopefuly it won’t be so scary next time.

Pleban

I don’t like the 61 point relaxation technique either. It’s not a bad technique, just not for me.

I would say just keep doing what you did the first time you WILD and don’t get discouraged if it doesn’t work. It just takes practice. You already know what to do and now you just have to feel your way through it. (Hope that made sense to you)

good luck and happy dreaming.

Thanks, I have enough determination because I want to feel these vibrations people speak about.

Well, I don’t know about you all, but it’s the weekend, that means it’s the best time for me to practice WILD. Tonight I’m going to try it when first going to sleep and WBTB. Good luck to everyone.

Milod -thanks for the continued suggestions…much appreciated… :smile:

Best to all…

I’ve still been working with WILD, and I know that I can do it. The problem is, I’m not being dedicated enough to it :bored:

I’ll get into bed, and usually by that time (even though it’s not particularly late – maybe 10:30) I’ll be tired. For about five minutes I might try to get into my WILDing state of mind, but I end up giving into my (mental and physical) exhaustion.

I’ve been trying to do things that will keep my mind awake and interested at least until I start getting HI. I tried repeating song lyrics in my head, but I got tired of that. Any advice for what I should do to keep myself awake?

I know just what you mean, daysong! I gave up my attempts after a short time last night because I was just too tired. I’m working on my resolve a bit :tongue:

I’ve not had a lucid dream yet, but the more I have practiced, the better I have become at maintaining awareness longer and longer on the way to sleep. The key for me in experiencing HI has been to have the right amount of food and drink and bathroom visits, and to watch some tv or read until I am real tired… Pedro talked about this on his post about VILD, and I agree that it is pretty important to being able to have the right mental state for WILD.

I think that it’s kind of funny that I have to fight tiredness for the thing that I want most :grrr:

I usually end up thinking about various things, and I notice the hypnagogic imagery when it begins. In meditation I’ve learned to remember what is happening as it happens, and I think this has helped in being more aware of the HI and helping me with progressing with WILD.

Also, the night before last I had the biggest success with WILD I’ve had yet. After repeating a scene (ala VILD) over and over, I eventually got to a point that the HI was VERY clear. So, I think that I am going to try to repeat a phrase (something easier than intense visualization) or do something to try to keep my mind active and retain my awareness.

plebian

Good luck. Let us know how U make out.

I hope I was helpful and did not confuse you more.

Hi Milod - I’ve got some good news and bad news to report on the LD front. The good news is that I had my second WILD on this past Saturday morning :ok: It was WBTB. (I have not been able to produce a WILD straight at the beginning of the sleep cycle. Basically, I have noticed a fewthings that have helped:

1. Instead of lying flat on the bed, I lie on my right side - this is the position I am most comfortable in. (the only downside is that there is the potential for discomfort to arise if there is too much pressure on the arm, etc).
  2. I followed your advice about “letting go” - there is a certain point where I begin to feel a rush of adrenaline - this time there were slight vibrations…when I felt this adrenaline rush, I tried not to focus too intently on what my body was doing and just tried to let go - and, shortly thereafter I found myself (my dreamself) standing by the bed and I performed a RC on the clock and I was dreaming! Oddly, I didn’t feel that attained the same high level of Lucidity as in my first lucid dream and I’d say the dream lasted perhaps arund 10-15 minutes but it is hard to tell.

So that’s the good news. The bad news is that I feel I am regressing in my dream recall. But since there is another thread about this and I read your post there, I will respond in that thread. Thanks for your help!

I know what you mean. Far be it for me to give you advice (as I’ve only had 2 WILDs) but I have found that your intention and focus need to be realyl strong for you to have a shot at WILD. Focusing on HI doesn’t work for me…I focus on my body and on repeating a mantra faithfully…(then again I haven’t had much success yet…) Good luck!

If this has been asked before, I’m sorry. But, is it at all possible that if you try WILD, but fail, that you have a better chance at LDing? The two times that I have gotten close, I’ve failed, but I had near-lucid experiences. Thoughts?

EpiK, it is possible that you indeed almost succeeded using DILD. In my opinion, it’s a good backup in case if WILD failed. :smile: Maybe you could try practicing DILD (RC’s or something) and then attempt to WILD. Then you have twice the chance to become lucid.

Good luck! :happy:

I get like an anxiety in my cheast when I try WILD. It happens in between breathing out and in. Like there is a pause between where you have no air in your lungs, and then I get anxiety. Can someone help me?

I succeeded at WILDing again! It was very short, so I don’t think it classifies as a full LD. But for a second or two… yeah.

How this happened? I’m not sure. I usually fall asleep when trying WILD, but this time, a song (AND the associated music video) was stuck in my head. It kept playing over and over so when suddenly the SP set on I focused on the song, kept singing the words in my head, and visualized the music video and myself singing the song.

So… I don’t know, but maybe that’s a good tip? I’ve surely never been able to focus on the image of an apple or a white dot or an energy flower in my throat, but having a song stuck in my head works wonders. Maybe it’ll work for others too :happy: