The BIG VILD Topic - Part I

I made up my own Vild method.
Nice post pedro, sounds like one of the most enjoyable methods if you can get it to work :smile:
Thats why i put some effort in making my incubated dream.

This is how it should go

I am sitting in a big room whit Morpheus. The rooms looks like some kind of a 3D world. He tells me 'Björn, You are dreaming. You should do some RC to check it. So i do that and i become lucid, jeej :grin:. I thank him and tell him i hope he can help me become lucid in more dreams. (I find the nose RC nice btw, so i took those 2 + a book thats in front of me wich i can check.)
The room looks like this ->
I made some more pics so i can imagine it better:

So what do you think, sound like a bulletproof plan or some faults in that?

Here is the question :smile:

Do you still use the same ritual before going to bed if you want LD?
the eating something drinking, reading thing?

Or do you just get in your bed, vizualize your dream and go to sleep?
and maybe its hard to tell, but like how many times do you rerun that dream before falling asleep?

Pedro,
are we supposed to visualize ourselves doing the reality checks and having them fail, succeed or actually try to do the reality checks each time? I assume we should have them tell us we’re dreaming, whether thats considered having the reality check succeed or fail I’m not sure.

Success for a reality check means that you get the true result. And you’re imagining that you’re dreaming, so imagine that it gives the true result, i.e. shows you as dreaming.

(Pedro already answered this question for me)

Thanks r3m0t…yeah he’s right. I always see myself doing the RC and realizing that I am dreaming.

I’m not sure how many times I run through my scene and it is very different each night though, I can tell you that! Depends how tired I am. Yes I always do the same thing before bed…I always eat and drink coz…well I’m hungry and thristy lol. And I always read for a while to get tired…unless I am extremely tired for some reason.

I’m not sure of this. Your eyes are simply plug and wait and play instruments. This plug wait play is also desmonstrated with science, where they have mamnaged to make artificial “eyes” and interface them, by electrodes on the tounge.

Your brain takes the data and organises it. But the funny thing is, that a blind from birth person does see objects in their minds. Therefore, I would conclude, it is the brain that sees, but it does not sense.

I am not being picky, I am just getting confused by what the tern “see” is being used like.

You could say the eye sees (as in senses), or you could say the brain sees, as in, it is the place where images, the world are reconstructed, from 2D, to 3D.

Infact, when I think upon it, images themselves do not exist. A literal visualisation of the world around would be millions of photons (light). The world is a “model” Our eyes sense, our brain sees the way the model it has designed guides it.

I have tried VILD two nights in a row, but no luck so far. It seems to keep me awake a little longer than usual and instead of falling asleep i almost WILD. Three things apparently can happen when I’m about to WILD when going to bed.

1. I become aware that I’m about to WILD, and I wake up.
  2. I suddenly can’t remember some part of the VILD scene, and I force myself to remember, and I wake up.
  3. Suddenly things start changing and images start popping up in my head. And i either fall asleep or wake up.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do. Last night i kept on running my VILD scene for over one hour before finally falling asleep. Should I just keep on practicing?

Those are the same exact problems I’m having. (btw, thanks for the VILD instructions Pedro) I think the reason why it’s so hard is because we’re trying to visualize a room that we’ve never seen. If we were to see a photograph of the room, it’d be much easier to imagine it. I’m thinking that maybe if we construct this room with little dream pieces from previous dreamscenes…or by using environments from reallife, it might make visualizing this room easier.

I use my livingroom so it’s familiar to me. I have tried using VILD for a week now but no success :sad: . Maybe I should try WBTB with VILD and I might be more successful, because if I wake up in the morning with the intention of WILDing or WBTB I’m usually so tired that I fall asleep within 1 min.

Here’s a suggestion: practice with what’s easier for you to visualize. For example, through practice Iv’e found that certain colors, shapes, motions, etc. are much easier to hold in my mind than others. Although I don’t use VILD myself, if I did I would probably keep my room extremely simple (as Pedro said) with a yellow ceiling, white walls, and a hardwood floor. This combo just seems to work very well for me, though it’s different for everyone. The only thing I might have against JaRoD’s idea of using a room familiar to you is that it still might be too complicated for some people to fall asleep while imagining it.

I think I need to start practicing visualisation if I want to succeed with VILD. At this moment, I can’t even hold on to a simple shape like a red circle for more than a few seconds.

I wonder if it really helps to practice visualisation. Does anyone know if visualisation skills can be improved at all? Have anyone tried it?

odd2k, I now possible to increase your visualisation skills. A few years ago I had trouble visualising. I had a really hard time thinking about something visual since it could change almost by itself. But since I tend to create a story in my mind every night before going to bed I have learned to controll it better. And my skills have gotten even better since I started to LD. Now I can even look at an image in my mind and look at something trough my eyes at the same time. Sometimes I can even see entire words in my mind, and I have started reading them backwards from my mind. Maybe everyone can do this, but for me it’s a great improvent :content: .

I have even started getting flashbacks. When I was driving I saw a girl from behind and she reminded me of someone I know. Then suddenly an image of her face flashed before my eyes, and I could see her in perfect detail.
Btw I have found that my visualisation skills can vary very much from day to day.

same with me, since i try lding, many pictures of older dreams (sometimes few years old) flash into my mind, if i look at anything in RL . I remember things, that ive already forgotten…thats very interesting and happens to me every day…in my opinion visualisation is just a question of concentration…relax…and stop thinking of other things except of the visualisation… :content:

Yes, I have myself dramatically improved my visualization skills (previously I would have a terrible time with the VILD technique, but now I’m on the verge of getting it to work). Try this: each day, find a quiet place and prepare to spend 10-15 minutes. Close your eyes and try to imagine simple geometric shapes (square, circle, triangle, etc.), then move on to 3D shapes, trying to make them as complex as possible. Don’t worry if you can’t hold each image in your mind for more than a second- just be persistent and move on to a new shape if u get too frustrated. After shapes, try colors- start with red, imagining your field of vision filling with redness. Do this with each color from red-purple. Then try combining colors with shapes.
If nothing else, do the following exercise because it also increases the vividness of your dreams: imagine a simple object either rotating, revolving, or both, and hold this image as long as possible. It’s especially effective if done while falling asleep.
A final exercise is imagining fun things with other senses- eating an orange, smelling a skunk, or riding a tobaggon screaming down a vertical hill- be creative. The key with these exercises is daily persistence, and it should pay off within 2 weeks :content:

hahaha, Miklos…"…final exercise is imagining fun things… …smelling a skunk…"

ok, well i’ve tried some meditation methods to help me get better with visualizations but for me, this works pretty well: home.comcast.net/~coresite/experiments.html “Experiment 3 - Two Exercises” both exercises 1 and 2

try it and see if it works well for you

i have a hard time visualizing the scene. do you think it would help if i film it and watch it over and over?

How would you film it? But yes, if you could it would help. You could watch the film, then immediately try to visualize it in your mind, and repeat these 2 steps as many times as possible.

Sounds like a cool technique, but woah you should see the post on this topic on certain other ld forums, Some people are very cynacal about is validity. But to each person is theyre own technique!
tried it last night but didnt remember and dreams fullstop so dont know if it worked or not…but ill be trying again.
peace out

I don’t understand why people find VILD so hard to believe… Everyone accepts that dream incubation is possible. It’s a method of incubating any dream you want… and I do one which forces me to RC… therefore: Lucidity! If you think about it… it’s actually really simple. I know visualization can be hard for some people but technically VILD is maybe the simplest method! Infact, I find it so simple that maybe it isn’t the method itself that people don’t believe. Maybe it’s the success I have had with it. But have you had a lucid dream? If yes then you know they are possible. And they could happen night…there isn’t a certain night where they wont work. So if you think about my SIMPLE method then it’s easy to see how, with good visualization skills, I can become lucid so much! Sorry, that was in responce to other forums who tend to assume VILD is a load of crap before thinking about it seriously like they would think about other methods.