Looking for a good sci-fi book

Any suggestions? Ive read LOTR books and the Hobbit, and am looking for a good scifi book to read before bed. Prefferably something that has to do with the mind.

Ok, Dune, written by Frank Herbert is a good mindf**k. But beware, It screwed with my head for a while. I actually personally believe it should have an age restriction of over 18 only. It goes quite in-depth relating to reading peoples expressions and body actions to the workings of their psyche. made me slightly paranoid for a while :eek: , which is the reason for my belief of an age restriction. Im sure a few people here have probably read it and can possibly relate to what i am saying. NOT a book for the young developing mind!

Ender’s Game
by Orson Scott Card. Great book, something like sociologic sci-fi.

I only read the first part of Dune so far, but I liked it a lot.

Also the two “classical” ones:
A. Huxley - Brave New World
Orwell - 1984
These are mainly about the ways our society could develop, very interesting ideas.

And finally my favourite one, unique and highly recommended :wink:

JEFF NOON - VURT
This is a really trippy one. It´s a bit confusing (by intention) and has strong links to lucid dreaming.

have fun
tapir

hehe i can imagine that it is superbly written.

More Than Human (1953) by Theodore Sturgeon is an all time classic, just read this from the back cover of the trade edition:

There’s Lone, the simpleton who can hear other people’s thoughts and make a man blow his brains out just by looking at him. There’s Janie, who moves things without touching them, and there are the teleporting twins, who can travel ten feet or ten miles. There’s Baby, who invented an antigravity engine while still in the cradle, and Gerry, who has everything it takes to run the world except for a conscience. Separately, they are talented freaks. Together they compose a single organism that may represent the next step in evolution, and the final chapter in the history of the human race.

Ender’s Game.

I usually don’t enjoy books very much, but I found that one interesting. I haven’t read a lot of sci-fi books so how I don’t know how it compares. I think you’d enjoy it.

Ender’s Game rocks!

You also should read uh… Ender’s Shadow. It’s about the same story, but different character’s point of view. That author is damn good on that! Not other authors I know could master that. I highly recommend you to read them both. :smile: Then you can really know the story very well… from two point of views. It is… wow… amazing, I’m telling you. :smile:

As soon as I came across Pav’s post about Ender’s Game, I was about to post “Ender’s Game Rocks” but then found DM7 took the words right out of my mouth.

Lol… sorry about that. :content:

gone

Robot Visions, by Isaac Asimov. A lot to think about rearding the mind in that one. Also, it’s actually a collection of short stories, so it’s easy to read before bedtime. And it’s just… a classic, basically.

Isn’t Dune that book where there’s only a ridiculously small amount of water on this planet so it becomes inredibly valuable?

There are shorts stories by P.K. Dick - great “what if…” sf.

wannabe- yeah, but there’s much more to it.

Well, if you play Warhammer 40,000 (or have a good working knowledge of it’s background world) then I highly recommend the Eisenhorn Trilgoy (Xenos, Malleus and Hereticus) by Dan Abnett. An amazing set of books… just make sure you read them in order. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve read each book…

Enders game is really good.
And so is American Gods by Neal Gainman (I can’t spell his last name :ack: )

Neil Gaiman is extremely cool. Have you read that one he did with Terry Pratchett called Good Omens?