Sleep walking during an LD?

Hi,

I was wondering what would happen if someone was sleep walking and then in the dream they were having, they realised they were dreaming, and tried to fly, or whatever?

any ideas? hehe

-stranger

They would fall down and wake up. I haven’t heard about that by the way, though.

It would be pretty amazing if you could sleepwalk while dreaming :smile: While you’re dreaming, your body is almost completely paralyzed (except for the eyes and some very minor muscle groups). Sleepwalking often occurs during deep sleep, but dream fragments could indeed get incorporated and have its effect on you.
However, when you have a REM sleep disorder, your body doesn’t get paralyzed during a dream, so things might get a little dangerous. If you fly in a dream then, you’d probably wave your arms or something while lying in bed :smile:

I can kind of induce sleep walking when I’m lucid but I do not actually know 100% myself if it works…I’m going of information from people who are there when I do it…so I dunno. I can make myself speak out loud during dreams.

Pedro, if you can manage to speak while LDing and also hear external sounds in your LDs, then you can have two-way communication with someone while dreaming :eek:. That would be quite useful from dream research, I guess.

Oh, and don’t forget that normal sleepwalking occurs only in NREM sleep.

EXACTLY I know! That’s why I’m not so sure about the whole sleep walking thing… but when I try it…I sleepwalk. Soooooo maybe I remember to do it and then do it after dreaming or something. I dunno.

I haven’t thought of that yet! Great idea! I haven’t really tried to take in external sounds before though…I’m gonna look into it. It would prove how time works in a dream. And also it would be the ultimate way to boost lucidity. If comunicating with someone talking to ur sleeping body doesn’t make you 100% aware then what would! I’m looking into this…

Pedro I think Stephen LaBerge already showed dream time was the same as real time?

yes Laberge prooved that, true.

jeff

Sorry about that then guys! Still be interesting to do though…

So how come people are still arguing about it if theres proof?

Two reasons I could think of…

1. They haven’t read EWLD!
  2. They suspect LD time is different from ND time.

For some reason this reminded me of one weird day last semester in “sleep and dreams”: This guy who sat next to me found out I was into lucid dreaming and started asking me a bunch of questions about it. I told him what I could given such a small time frame and found out from him that he has sleep apnea and is a somnambulist. During our particularly boring lecture that day, he fell asleep three times. I watched the first time and saw his eyes moving rapidly behind his lids and his body shaking. Right before he woke up he managed to swing his arm across his desk and knock his binder on the floor. After that happened he told me that he was in a lucid dream but couldn’t wake up from it and couldn’t control it very well. He then proceeded to do this two more times before he left early and eventually never came to class again.

I don’t know if I believe what he was saying because it didn’t seem to make a whole lot of sense. To fall asleep repeatedly and not be able to control the dream just seems weird, especially when you’re sitting up in class with people around you. What do you guys think? He’s a pretty weird guy and though he’s in my astronomy class, he thankfully doesn’t remember me. *I still think back on it and remember how after his first big jerky movement, he wrote me a note saying, “That was me jumping off a derailing train.” That was one day in class that I wasn’t bored.

Sorry if this is too off-topic for you guys. I didn’t want to start a new weird post about some guy in my class. Hope you understand.

Sounds a bit like narcolepsy.

yea it would be cool to be a good LDer like pedro and have REM w/o atonia. which is a disorder where ur muscles and stuff dont become paralyzed. people with this disorder can get up and act out a dream(not the same as sleep walking which is in like stage 4 of sleep as u all know). narcolepsy is when u fall asleep spontaneously and its most likely due to arousal or excitement(not good for when ur trying to have sex). apnea-another disorder u stop breathing during sleep and makes u wake up many times. sonamulism or however u spell it is sleep walking in scientific words. just to clear sum stuff up cus it can get confusing. another interesting term is cataplexy which is just like narcolepsy only the person is not asleep they just suddenly receive the paralyzation. so they r still wide awake only they have the rem paralysis which sounds pretty funny to see. thats triggered by excitement + arousal. haha imagine getting into a fight with sum1 with cataplexy. they just instantly become paralyzed than u can kick there body while their down.
but yea it sounded like that kid had his terms mixed up either that or he was faking because apnea or sonamulism would not explain him suddenly falling asleep. boy would it suck to have every single sleep disorder. ud contantly be going paralyzed and dropping into sleep, then losing paralysis and getting up and acting out ur dream in a trance like state then ud forget to breath and wake up again LOL wut a life.

I dont think this is very possible, as your body is paralyzed during rem sleep.
Sleepwalking/sleeptalking usually happens in non rem sleep, so you would have to have some serious disorder to do it in REM… :smile:

I’ve read Stephen Laberge’s research where he compared the perception of time in dreams and waking life.

Research proves only what was carefully isolated for study and then only after being confirmed by other studies in equally controlled settings. In Laberge’s research he had a small number of people signal with eye movements when they started counting to ten, then signal again when they finished. He then compared this to people in waking life who estimated that ten seconds had passed. It was about the same.

This only suggests that while a lucid person is relaxed and counting shortly after becoming lucid that time seems to pass about as fast as in waking life.

In waking life, the perception of time passing varies a great deal. Its possible that in lucid dreams, in various emotional states, or after having been dreaming for a longer period of time, that time passes at very different rates. This has never been studied.

Pedro is quite right in keeping an open mind about time being different in dreams and waking life.

Mm an open mind never hurts, but i did some testing with my eeg machine and time in lucid dreams and it always showed, like laberge said, to be the same as in waking life. Of course ppl that dream can dream 5 seconds they are at sunrise then jump in there dream to night and then say oh wow i dreamed a whole day but thats not really objective time those are time jumps on seperate occasions in your dream. But when u count time in a ld its the same as normal waking time.

Jeff

That’s cool that you have an eeg machine. I’d like to have one of those. Do you have something that records eye movement as well? How did you mark the beginning and ending of your counting in a way that you could refer to later?

I had an eeg machine…for ten years i did tests with all kind of things related to consciousness. Nope now i no longer have it, after 10 years i sold it.
It was linked trough my pc and with software that record my whole sleep at night. Well i use selfhypnosis in my dreams and can use that to enter the deep sleep and still stay lucid.
so i had two measurements for time…i used selfhypnosis to go from my dream ld to deep sleep…then counted 20 seonds and then went up to dream sleep again. i did that 5 times each time i tested that a night when i had a ld. The record of my eeg showed me i had indeed 5 times intervals from aprox 20 sec that i changed from dream stage to deep sleep and back.
Also did it differently, i used selfhypnosis to go into deep sleep then stay there a few seconds then go up…count to 20 and then focus at waking up.
then also u could see at the eeg record that after that short dip into deep sleep stage it took aprox 20 seconds after with i woke up for real.
So yes laberge is right!

Nope i dont have or had eye movement recording :smile:

Jeff

So, you are saying that you are able to go back and forth between deep sleep and lucid dreaming at will and you did it five times after counting twenty second intervals each time and this was recorded on the eeg machine.

And…

You used self-hypnosis to put yourself into deep sleep and while in deep sleep you counted to twenty, then woke yourself up.

I’m afraid I don’t fully understand, so I’ll just take what you said at face value and continue to keep an open mind. : )

Hi,

this is so weird, i’ve been having this same idea in my head for a few weeks.

What would happen if you were lucid while having your senses still on?

There’s no doubt that this would help dream researchers around the world. In lucid dream researches you wouldn’t have to communicate by eye movements, you could just say what you’re dreaming.

It could be possible to achieve this, remember the animal research, where the guy disconnected the part of the brain where it paralysis the body before sleep? Then the animals acted out their dreams.

I’m not saying you’d have to cut someone’s brain for better communication, but there must be a healthier solution, a pill or something.

And if they could make such a pill, preferably one that would only leave your mouth unparalysed, you could record your dreams, or at least what you said in it. You would no longer have to struggle to remember it, you could just listen to your dreams on tape the morning after.

Communication between the dreamworld an reality would happen much quicker. You would be able to express yourself not only by words, but also by facial expressions, music or the tone of your voice.

There might not be many possibilities beyond communicating, but there might be something we’re missing, something it would be useful for.
If not, it would definitaly bring dream reasearches to a faster pace.