The BIG WILD Topic - Part XI

[color=indigo]I’m not getting uch sleep just cos I wanted to see if the trippy effects of being really tired could help with WILD, the halucinations are so cool!

My stupid random insomnia has gone back into hibernation for a while!
So I should be ok![/color]

PistGurl

Trying to rely on REM rebound effect of sleep deprivation. That’s what I thought you were getting at. Well all I can tell you is that there is no guarantee of LD’s with that. After putting your self through all that you may still end up with just a ND. Albeit long, vivid and intense ones. Im not saying don’t do it. you have to make that decision on your own. Since you also suffer or suffered from insomnia you know that sleep deprivation is not fun. There are people who claim that it works and I don’t disbelieve them. I just don’t recommend it. Why put your self through that when you don’t have to.

Happy Dreaming

I get REM rebound quite ofter because I tend to sleep too much. After about a week of too much sleep I get one night where I can’t fall asleep until very late, resulting in 4-5 hours of sleep. Those nights I can usually get some really intense HI. And the night after I usually have lots and lots of long vivid dreams. So atleast for me one night of too little sleep gets the job done. Doesn’t always work though.

JaRoD

Yes one night is enough to get REM rebound. You describe getting long vivid dreams but I notice that you did not say if you had lucid ones.

PistGurl

You will find that WILD can be quite trippy all on it’s own.

Just practice and give yourself time. The LD 's will come.

I usually dont get LD’s during a night of REM rebound. Probably because I’m too tired and just want to sleep.

Arg…WILD hasn’t worked for me in a logn time. I just lie there, either using counting, or mantra, or focusing on body or HI for over an hour then my will brekas and I move and fall asleep normally with no LD…

I have a question that has arisen to my mind now actually… even though I’ve been trying to WILD for some time (with some success when I see the dream images form, rather than when I count):

Are we supposed to count with our mind (thinking) or mouth (speaking) ?

Because I generally ‘think’ rather than count aloud…
What is the actual way?

Somebody else said this recently - to speak it aloud is mad! The thing which wakes me up the most (apart from water and stuff like that) is speaking. It seems to take up so much energy.

Definately in your mind.

The count should be thinking…external body movement will impede WILD.

pleban

Are you still using WBTB or at bed time. I find that with WBTB try not to stay up very long. In fact don’t even get out of bed unless you have to. Then go right back to sleep. You should already be in deep relaxation if you don’t move around much so, this should make the WILD go much faster. Because you are only up for such a short time you can even practice during the week because your sleep is not interrupted any more than it normally is. I don’t even use an alarm clock. I just allow myself to wake naturally which we do every night.

Are you still using the technique you used with your first WILD.

Keep it simple and keep practicing.

Happy Dreaming

I was thinking so but I wanted to be sure… just in case I was doing the ‘wrong’ thing… I’m still not proficient in WILD… Sometimes it works but most times I fall asleep…

It’s tricky because when you count to yourself you’ve got to maintain, as LaBerge puts it, “a degree of vigilance.” Basically, it’s a fine line between being too aware or being too lax.

This may sound a little silly but, it works if you are using counting. As you get up to the higher numbers more slowly as though you were getting sleepy. Like I said it sounds silly but, it does work.

I wonder whether performing some mental maths would be better than this procedure… since even yesterday I kept falling asleep. ETWOLD mentions having somebody to wake you up, but it’s difficult to find this someone…

In my opinion, doing math would be too much mental activity. When doing WILD you only want to have a tinny bit of your consciousness awake. Other wise you stay too awake to get through the HI.

To be honest, I have never understood Laberge’s reasning for having a person to wake you up when using the counting method. His explanation doesn’t make much sense to me.

My dream character, who was my dad in my dream last night was doing some math, and he thought 2% of 40k bucks was 35k bucks lol!, thats a new dream sign for me… but in my normal dream, I still could do math… how funny!

Im not so sure about counting… but ive never really tried it. Im just trying to WILD with eliminating ALL thoughts… like if I think about ANYTNiING, i simply stop thinking about it. This includes thinking about stuff like ohh when will the vibs come on, my arm is numb, etc.

Also, I think concentrating on your breating is not the way for me… cause for me that means controlling my breathing… which seems to keep me awake… and once I stop, I find I wake up hours later lol.

Anyways… I think I figured out the key to WILDS:
Notice how scenes flash before your eyes, like not like a hallucination, but rather like a very good visulization… im changing up my routine to simply pay attetention visually to these… and simply stay aware. Heres my analogy: Your watching a movie and your gonna have a test on it!

I mean, you can pay attention to some picture, yet have your breathing go on auto drive, right?

Well, anyways in not sure really, im just experimenting, I could be wrong, but I have gotten to the point of where I feel like im moving around and I get imegry that is strong, I guess thats HI.

Also, I think I got WILD to work once, but I somehow ended up in a false awakening lol, but I cought it with a reality check!

So, all you WILDers… what do you think? And did what you say work?

[color=indigo]Hey the imagey things you said about…I think I had some of those…kind of.

I was trying WILD (for the billionth time ever!) and I kept on’seeing’ myself moving and having to start over. It was wierd cos sometimes I thought I had moved. It was like I was doing it, like it is in a dream, but I was just thinking it.[/color]

Another really handy thing when you try to slow down your brainwaves:

Try to imagine a stair or an elevator. Imagine that you are walking down the stairs, first person, imagine how you go down further and further and you will see that you will get closer and closer to WILD.

I like to imagine descending about 10 steps on a stair, and after that stepping into an elevator, really imagining the feeling of going down a few floors. After that, I stop the visualizing and I try to feel how much ‘deeper’ I have gone in my mind for a few seconds, before descending the next stair, etcetera. Try it!