Flying

I also found that flying has a stabilizing effect on my dreams and even increases lucidity for me.

yeah i agree…

flying is different for everyone…

i find that when i can’t fly… i kind of have lost the belief that i can fly… i doubt myself… i know that i can fly but i just dont have the will/intent that i can actually do it…

Flying is dead easy for me. I’ve done it since my first and can’t imagine any problems doing it (apart from not getting high enough - just stay low-ish!)

If not flying, what would I do?!

Me too. Everytime I have an LD, I am flying around probably because I like flying. However, after a while (for me), flying becomes tiresome because after flying for a long time I got used to it.

My technique in a dream is simply to sort of jump as I walk which catapults me into the air to begin flying.

As someone has already stated on this thread different methods work for different people. Different strokes for different folks. :smile:

The way I fly comes from how I fly in ND’s. It’s hard to describe it’s more like a feeling that a technique. I feels like I weigh almost nothing and then I just float away. The only problem is that when I to a certain height I tend to fall back down. Maybe it has something to do with my fear of heights.

I have no difficulty flying in an LD. The only tough time I had was the first time I tried it, but now I can do so without any real effort. All I do is run and then jump, spreading out my arms on either side of me. It really is a great feeling.

i can fly easily but i have altitude restrictions, i have to trick myself into a high altitude new dream scene usually in order to get up in the sky, though sometimes i can go up way high naturally…

sometimes it’ll look like i’m high yet i feel myself walking on the ground…

i’m not really sure what determines success/failure in altitude…

or speed… sometimes i can move pretty fast, but most of the time I can’t fly faster than walking speed.

one of the coolest things i’ve ever done was imagining that there are steps in the air, and getting a huge runnign start and just jumping up in the air and pumping my feet… it was so insanely fast and i got really high and started falling like i was some sort of human pogo stick.

i read the technique from somewhere else and decided to give it a try, it was very cool.

usually… i just jump in the air and tighten my leg muscles to fly… sometimes i have to be in a sitting position, sometimes a superman position… sometimes my limbs and bodily position directly affect which way i go and how i fly… it’s kind of tricky…

i’ve only been able to do it levitating once… i suppose that requires a lot more mental activity then just pumping your dream body while expecting it to fly.

oh… and … flying cars through the air… is great and it feels pretty fast… i stole my uncles truck once and flew it through rooftops (it was hard to steer)

The only couple of times where I’ve had trouble flying in LD’s are when they are low-level. I can usually only get up a few feet.

Yep, flying has played a part in most of my LDs. I also have had difficulty in increasing the altitude. Though, in my last WILD I got up pretty high and experienced an incredible warm wind. It was really quite a ride.

You do. You just have to realy believe that you can fly as high as you want. There are no limitations. In fact you can leave the atmosphere and explore the stars. If you want to.

My experiences in flying is like the show that used to come on in the 80’s called the “The Greatest American Hero”.
He found out he was this Hero with special powers and had the cape and all that… but when he tried to fly , he was like so uncordinated. He would get himself up in flight then fall flat faced in the dirt.
Well my first flights in dreams were the same way. Mainly what it is, is from fear.
I would actually feel my stomach lifting ( as you do in flying in a plane at take off) then I would get that unsureness in myself that I might fall.
However when you think about it, why worry …you are dreaming!!!
But we dont always percieve it that way at the time .
Yes it does take experience to fly. It takes practice like everything else in life.
Nothing happens overnite…unless you are the Messiah!!!
Ok I Jest! :happy:

I kinda have a hard time flying…see I dont like float like normal people would I get some wings and start flying (angel wings :tongue:) but all I do is fly up and thats all like this >>> :tryfly: and then I drop back down or something. its kinda hard I cant seem to fly farther just a couple feet up >_o. I dont think Im that heavy :tongue:. What im thinking of doing is copying a bird…who else uses wings? can anyone give me tips?

ShiroTora - I’ve never thought of using wings, oddly. It just didn’t make sense - after all, I don’t need the wings, do I? However, it sounds like great fun, even though you haven’t managed. :smile:

Perhaps you could visualise an energy coming from your heart, your head, the earth, whatever - energy going into your wings to keep them strong enough and keep them flapping. :content:

I used wings a few times, real wings, not just my arm. But it was mainly for fun.

If you are planning on using them, i suggest you run and then jump into the air or from some high building. Once you are in the air, you shouldn’t have much trouble to pretend that you can fly. If not, well, then you are going to have a happy trip downwards :grin:

The main reason I use wings is to show off and look cool lol but ill try to run off a building with my wings and hopefully Ill land on my feet…>_>

I haven’t managed to fly yet, every time I manage to hover I start asking myself ‘Will I fall?’ and of course just thinking about falling makes me fall…

Try immediately thinking “I’ll get up if I fall” or something like that. Sounds like a really bad association. (flying = falling)

imagines self trying to fly
Hey I know Ill jump off this cliff! WEEeeeeeeee splat

OK I want to avoid that…I think if you have the slightess thought of falling youd well fall, if your hovering that is, if you have wings hopefully you might just glide down…then again maybe not, Im hoping that thinking Im a cat girl would help me land on my feet hence cats do land on their feet…usually…>_>

I recently had an LD where I decided I wanted to fly. At the beginning, it almost seemed like I was flying already, but I was just kind of moving across the ground, hovering I guess. Then, I started trying to fly and it worked, I was going past buildings really fast. At one point I wanted to turn right, but for some reason physically turning right made me veer left, kinda strange but I got used to it and ended up in some parking garage thing. Then, I conjured up a DC I remembered from the non-lucid part of my dream… I was surprised it worked, since usually I fail at making someone appear.

Like I said I levitate myself off the ground and then just go shooting off into the distance. I fly kind of like neo(or super man) does, except I don’t really jump bevore I leave the ground. It is like there is a force pulling me, not pushing. I found that when I first started flying I thought of a force under my feet pushing my, but then my legs would give out once I reached a certain speed. It is really like I am haning on to a mental rope.

Have any of you heard of “antigravity.” Basically it is changing the direction of the force in a localiszed area. This is also similar to what I do. I just imagine a greate force all around me in the direction I want to go.

I have no limits on height etc. I have flown out my bedroom window and up into outerspace then at hyper speed to the middle of the universe.

I have also found that a good method for changing the dream scene is to fly up into the air and stall. Then without looking down at the gound just let yourself fall.

Another method of changing the dream scene while flying is to go into hyperspeed. Everything just melts together and when you slow down you are in a new place.

I have also found that it is cool to stall in the sky and look around and the world below. I have also found that doing amazing things is easier when flying. For example, I have never gone through a mirror or wall, but when I am flying I can go through anything. I have experienced ecstacy when flying into a HUGE tree and watching it explode all around me.

Another note about flying is that I have enver woken up while doing it. It does seem to stablize dreams. I’m sure if I just kept flying I would eventually wake up, but i usually use flying to get to the desired dream or to find a more interesting dream scene through my sub concious.

Enjoy :smile: