Questions about dreams

Hi…

Im new here, Ive never had a lucid dream, and rarely remember my dreams. Ive read most of the stuff on the site, and alot of these topics on here, I just wanted to ask some questions-

When I dream, its all very blurry and unclear, and its nothing like real life at all, but Ive read here that people have dreams that seem real, to the point of not telling the difference between them and reality? does this mean im not good at dreaming, or are all dreams unclear and blurred?
The best way I can describe it is, its like if you close your eyes and imagine something, its not clear, and has a low “framerate”.
Is this the same for everyone in normal or lucid dreams, and when you realise your dreaming, does the clarity increase?

and also, why cant you turn on a light in a dream?

That’s only some people. Possible reasons are that your brain finds it hard to suddenly switch the image from a dark room to a lit one, or that the brain has trouble with logical/technological things such as light switches.

Your dreams are fine; it’s your dream recall which is “at fault”. When you begin keeping a dream journal, you’ll find that your recall improves and your dreams become clearer.

hmmm, ok, but Im sure that the unclearness is there while im actually in the dream…

also, sometimes, as im starting to fall asleep, I suddenly fall onto my bed and wake up, and its not just me dreaming of falling, I actually physically fall onto my bed, or at least it feels like that, but I deffinatley move in some way, and then wake up…
does anyone know what this is?

Sleep paralysis! You are hallucinating. :smile:

Thats been happening since I was a little kid I though I was just crazy :bored:

Hey ViperX.
That reminds me of a theory. When you Astral project (apparently we do it everynight) you are seperated from your body (or atleast your mind) and what you could be experiencing is something disturbs you in your room or in your Astral body and cause’s it to shot back down causing your body to jerk from the “impact” or your Astral body.
I don’t know that much about Astral projection and such, so im just throwing stuff out there, I could be wrong.
Either that or you sleep on the roof…? :bored:

Are you practicing WILD.

When you are falling a sleep while your consciousness stays slightly awake you can experience many strange things. I will often feel like I am having seizures and/or my body is being pulled into some direction. This is actually good because if you just let go a little bit more you will find yourself standing in the middle of a dream lucid.

that is a myoclonic jerk, as far as why it happens, i don’t think a definite conclusion has been made, but one idea is that you are falling asleep too fast and your brain interprets rapid loss of senses and motor control as you dying, and sends a large jolt of adrenaline into you to … “save you”

it definitely happens if you accelerate the falling asleep process to faster than it would normally take you, as if you were doing a method to fall asleep rather than just letting it happen.

and it does definitely happen when you are trying to stay awake.

It’s funny, I can have a dream where I’m driving a car, but I can’t turn on a light. Anyone ever tried turning on the headlights of their car in a dream?

Alternativly, it’s your body leaving SP. You’re muscles jurk as they don’t expect to be woken up so suddenly?

I don’t have any problems with car lights at all. They all ways seem to work for me.

I actually managed to remember parts of my dream last night…
People say mint-tea helps for having lucid dreams, does normal tea help aswell?

I have this quite a lot except it’s when I first wake up in the morning. It’s just a feeling, no images or anything else.

I never notice my dreams being blury at the time but thinking back to them afterwards, they are.

Most of the time when people report dreams that are as clear and vivid as real life, they’re referring to Lucid Dreams. It can be a little difficult to understand the difference until you experience one yourself - but that’s what this entire community is here to promote. :smile:

The basic concept of lucid dreaming involves being conscious (essentially “awake”) while you’re still in the dream. Generally when this happens the lucid dreamer will experience a profound increase in the level of clarity and sensuality within the dream. Objects appear as sharp and detailed as real life, and your other senses start to behave accordingly realistic. It might seem a little too convenient or “mystical”, but I haven’t been exaggerating. Some people experience these dreams naturally (having never lost the ability from early childhood), while some of us have to put in the effort to make it happen.

It’s possible to enhance your dream recall such that each morning you can easily remember 3 to 5 dreams a lengthy detail, but in general normal dreams are never as clear as lucid dreams.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. :smile:

I don’t mean to barge in…I just want to share a couple of things with you.I’ve been having these lucid dreams (only now did I find out that they wren’t ordinary dreams) for some time now.And the strange thing is, they all seem to be dark,as if the light came from a candle that moves from one place to another,depending on where the main focus of the dream is. However, when I awake from these dark dreams,I feel very energetic and happy,full of positive feelings, unlike other people for whom dark dreams mean a dark day to come.
On the other hand, when there is a lot of bright light in my dreams(that happens sometimes) I wake up feeling so sad and kinda drained…is that normal? :confused:

Don’t worry, you’re just perverted.

Only joking! That in particular isn’t normal, but it is fairly normal to have dreams which defy interpretation.

Here’s my shot, although I don’t know any particular dream, or anything about your situation. I have a suspicion that many, many people would accept this explanation. Never mind though, here it is:

The light is symbolising knowledge, and the dark ignorance. “What you don’t know can’t hurt you” - you may be ignoring something or not facing up to it, and you like that.

Perfect answer holy reality! :content: Yes, that is a hypnic or myoclonic jerk. Most people have experienced this at one time, and it is normal. It is not sleep paralysis, and is actually the opposite.
Sleep paralysis usually occurs after deep sleep, and often towards the end of a person’s sleep cycle.
Myoclonic Jerk occurs during the beginning of a sleep cycle, and while the person is very lightly sleeping.

As Holy Reality explained there is no definate cause for Myoclonic jerk, and it is often speculated to be caused by your senses “shutting down.”
The term “falling asleep” is believed to have originated from these sensations. The shock causes the body to jerk and creates the feeling that you have fallen back into bed.

I remember falling asleep once on a folding lawn chair. I had an episode of myoclonic jerk and it caused the legs to fold on the chair. The chair collapsed and I landed on the ground! :grin: It took a moment for me to realize what happend. :tongue:

Thanks for the reply’s everyone, sounds like a good explanation :smile:

Despite my efforts, I still havent had a Lucid Dream, and Ive been trying so hard in the last week… hmm :sad:
I used to be able to remember my dreams right after they happened, quite clearly, and in full, now I dont remember them as well, they come to me in like, pieces, not as clear, and its hard to put the “pieces” together, and thats if I can even remember my dream at all, alot of the time, when I wake up, my first thoughts are “what was my dream?” and all I can remember is blackness…
anyway, Im going to keep trying…

Thanks!!! Actually I know I’m perverted…in a weird kind of way.I mean,I don’t know if I’m blocking out knowledge or stuff…I think I’m just more comfortable when hidden by darkness or by anything else.This happens to me in real life too,I’m scared of big,wide open spaces,they make me feel so vulnerable and almost already hurt.

That would be the simpler explanation. :smile: