Freaky dreams of death

This topic has been touched on a few places here. One thread I remember from last month is titled: “What do dreams of dying mean?”

I think dreams of death are actually pretty common. I wouldn’t give them much thought.

Hi folks, I’m not a good lucid dreamer, I’ve just started to write down dreams. But I’ve managed to become semi-concious in a dream, I don’t know if i was lucid though. I managed to know that i was dreaming, and I were able to feel the texture of a brick wall, and then awoke.

Anyway, to stay on topic:
I’ve always had a theory, that if you really die during a dream, you die in RL. But offcourse this is only out from own experiences, so I wan’t to know what you pro’s think of this? I see that many of you post that you have actually died during a dream, but there was something special about my dream, It’s probably the most afraid I’ve been in a dream ever…

What I base my theory on is that I’ve never died during a dream, but it’s been close sometimes, like when you fall from a high building, you always wake up before you hit the ground.

But the best example I have is this:
In a dream, a dude put a gun to my head and pulled the trigger, everything suddenly turned white… I felt like I was leaving my body, but something in me said that it was not time for this yet, and I actually felt afraid of dying, so I struggled my way back to my body, and re-entered it.
When I came to myself in dream again, I realized that the gunshot had hit my cheek, and went straigth through, In other words, not a fatal injury, then I woke up.

apollox, while reading your dream I started to remember one of my dreams from last night. :happy: thanks! hehe, I’m not sure why. My dream was very different from what I read.

I while ago I had a dream where I died in an unusual car crash: Mum was driving me to school when she decided to take a short cut on an old road. The road suddenly turned into train tracks and ahead was a trainstation and a tunnel which the tracks lead into. I said to mum “I really dont think we should be driving here”, she replied “No, its okay, the tracks are not used anymore” and large white train (It was smooth and glossy white without normal railings or windows) came out of the tunnel. Mum shouted “What do I do?!” And I said “Just turn off the tracks” but it was too late and just before the train hit I remember thinking, this train is going to hit me, what will it feel like? And then it slammed into the car crumpling the front in. The train pushed my body and the car bakwards so fast that I felt my ‘self’ leave my body before springing (as though attatched to my body by a bungie cable) back to the car and for a fraction of a second I felt myself being thrown aroung in my seat and then my conciousness faded to black and I woke up. What was strange was that it did not feel scary or bad to die - I just had a huge amount of adrenalin and my heart was beating very fast when I woke up. The sensation was very strange and I wouldn’t mind feeling it again (No, I am not going to go an drive on some train tracks).

What do other people feel when they die?

Hi,

well i havn’t felt much pain, or fear, usually it is an unexpected thing that happens and i notice i am suddenly dead.

Although I have had a recent dream where I realised (or thought) I was dead, and thought i was out of this world, some place else, and I remember crying and feeling sad.

I also had another dream once that it was the end of the world…as I saw everything around me being crumpled into some kind of dust which was taking everything over, I knew it was the end of the world and it was coming towards me (the dust) to take me over too, I remember saying “oh God, please let this be a dream, oh God, is it a dream?” I did my cross, in great fear and depression, but with hope, and closed my eyes, when I awoke, it was just a dream.
PHEW!

-stranger

a dream i had a long time ago (like 2 months) i was swordfighting or something with some really weird looking creature, like with fins on its head but more like a plant creature anyways it struck upon me fatal blows and as i fell backwards, it dawned on me that i was going to die, i sort of reminisced on life and stuff, and was totally at peace with everything, things felt good, i even felt a sort of love or forgiveness towards the very being who had slain me, very strange, i woke up. Another dream i was in a car with my family and we drove off a cliff, again the life thing and the peace.

EDIT: oops hehe forgot to ask if anyones ever gotten the peace thing

Though this isn’t the sort of thing anybody would like to brag about, I feel like I must add my two cents.

I’ve died a ridiculous number of times in my dreams…

Alien-Related: 2 times
Blown up: 1 time
Buried by Debris: 1 time
Eaten: 1 time
Electrocuted: 1 time
Fell: 1 time
Killed by Magic: 3 times
Shot: 1 time
Suffocated: 2 times

The most outlandish killer I can remember was this one guy called “The J’j’j’j’j’j’j’j’j’j’j’j’jee-er” (I am so not kidding). He rode around in an old neighborhood I lived in with a patriot missile launcher under the hood of his car and shot at stuff (like me).

Ironically, I’ve seen Death himself die twice in my dreams. Both times he was riding a bicycle and he rammed into some garbage cans and died, and even more strange was the fact that the group of kids I was playing with would cry each time he died.

And apollox, EVERYBODY is going to die in RL when you think about it…

I don’t think I’ve dreamed of dying in a long time, I’ll have to go through my DJ…but I do remember when I was little, I’d always have dreams of aliens coming and we had to play wierd games with them and if I lost I’d die. I had one where me and my friends were colouring in, and an alien ‘presence’ was around us and if we didn’t colour he’d vaporise us (I didn’t even know what vaporise meant at this time, I had to ask my mum when I woke up) When the alien killed me it wasn’t painful, it was like fading out of an LD, it went kind of blank…not black, but not white, but it was very bright, like I imagine going blind to be like…I can’t explain it. Another time, I had to play hide and seek with a gigantic light which was an alien, and if the light touched me through a window, I’d die, so I hid behind a chair, but then I realised there was a window behind the chair, and it got me…again, the wierd light/dark thing. The third time I was just dead…I was floating through a dark tunnel of what seemed to be liquid air (lol) and I heard myself shouting “wake up now!!! or you really will die” so I did. This was when my nightmares nearly stopped, 'cos I always told myself to wake up.

Actually, I do remember a dream from about 2 months ago. I went into my mums house, and I was told to be quiet…as I looked out the window, one of the aliens from mars attacks was floating down past the window, going away 'cos he couldn’t hear anyone. But when my mum left, she sneezed, and as I was layed in bed, the alien started to float up again…I was terrified, so I pretended to be asleep, it reached a sucker thing through the window, saying something about having the sin of black and blue on my walls, it sucked all these b+b dots of my wallpaper and layed in my bed next to me, I couldn’t move for fear, I could feel it now had a monkey head, and it touched my head with its hand, and I could feel my life being sucked up by it, and then the light/dark thing again…

Stupid aliens

I’ve dreamt of people in my family dying and also myself. They’re definitely the worst dreams I’ve had. In one I was lying on my parents bed, Mum sitting beside me. I had a very short time to live and we were both crying. It felt horrible. I cried when I woke up.

Daedalus: lol, “Alien-Related”? Those are some pretty awesome stats.

Do you play alot of computer games?

Actually, now that you mention it, yes, I am an avid computer-gamer. However, most of my nightmares came before I really got into it, so maybe it helps…

And I wouldn’t really call those stats “awesome.” It ain’t pretty dying in your dreams. There was this one dream I had once where I would keep going into a cave, and the mascot for Insane Clown Posse would kill me time and time again for a total of five times. Actually, in that dream, I was super Mario… don’t ask. I’m not responsible.

By far one of the WORST nightmares I’ve ever had was of this damn little kid. I would be in my driveway, and he’d come along and start throwing knives at me, laughing like the little devil he was. He was pretty darn accurate too, and every time he would miss, but would come so close to hitting me that I couldn’t help but run.

In the dreams I had where I was about to die (the only one that comes to mind was when I was dropped into a pool of sharks), I start screaming, “I know I’m dreaming. Wake up. Wake up. Wake up.” Why so irrational? If I know I’m dreaming, just snap out of it and fly away. slaps forehead

I think I only dreamt once that I went dead in a dream. But I’m not sure. When I died in that dream I almost immediately woke up. I guess that happens often.

I have had 2 vivid dreams of death that I can remember. Both where many years ago.

In the first I was standing outside of my elementary school on the grass and someone pulled up in a car and shot me, as soon as this happened I went into sort of third person and I became a green-colored soul entity and uncontrolably floated upward. I would see the top of this smeary soul enitity but I was somehow still apart of it.

The second dream I had was I walked into a parking lot of what looked to be a city, I was immediately shot by someone unknown and the same exact thing happened to me with the spirit thing as it did in the first dream.

I remember that these dreams were a few years apart.

A few years later I found out that my father had been shot it the head killed in a parking lot by someone in the darkness, a hitman. Had I dreamt my fathers murder as it happened or sometime afterwards ? Or was this just a strange coincidence? I had been told for many years that my father died of a heart attack, and at the time of the dream had no idea he had been shot. I cannot remember when either of these dreams took place, but they hit me hard and stuck with me.

I’ve had two death dreams. In the first one, I was just suddenly attending my own funeral (in my dreams, I play a lot of other people for some reason), and that’s about it. The second one was a tad more unsettling. I met a beautiful, intelligent girl, and we were dating. Then one day she shot me through the throat. I woke up and still thought I had been shot, and was clutching my throat so hard I couldn’t breathe.

Both were scary at the time, but I’m glad I had them. They were interesting.

Wel that really is freaky heh, but i understand what you mean by your glad you had them.

They say dreams of death mean some sort of change is happening in your life…you get any change happening at all?

-stranger

hey that bungee cord you mentioned is called the Silver cord or Umbilical cord in OBE’s. it’s what keeps your spirit soul attached to your body. i wonder if that cord gets severed in your dreams means that you’ll be dead in real life.
i only had one dream of death i think. several months ago.
in the dream i was in a night club and all of a sudden there was a huge explosion. i just remembered the bright orange flames rolling over me like a wave as i was ducking and covering and it became white out. there wasn’t any pain but rather some kind of vibrational sensation. after that it like skipped to a scene where i’m in a middle of this illuminated green tunnel with colorful images passing overhead and under my feet in frames. for some reason i think it was images from lives of who knows who’s.

Stranger, I apologize, I didn’t even see that you had asked me that question (so long ago).

The second dream happened right after I moved, so yeah, it was a pretty huge change going on. But the first one was so long ago that I can’t even remember sadly.

Lately I’ve been dreaming that people are trying to kill me, also that my mum murders ppl. I know that dreaming of dying is supposed to signify change, but does it still apply here. And there has been nothing new in my life…ever lol, it’s all the same.

i got repeatedly and randomly stabbed last night

on a plus side, it was perhaps the first time i’ve ever whacked someones limb off… it wasn’t kill bill like in nature but it flew off none the less.

can’t say she didn’t have it coming, even though I think I took that arm off multiple times before I got it through to her to stop. !

"But the best example I have is this:
In a dream, a dude put a gun to my head and pulled the trigger, everything suddenly turned white… I felt like I was leaving my body, but something in me said that it was not time for this yet, and I actually felt afraid of dying, so I struggled my way back to my body, and re-entered it. "

This used to happen to me… and it used to be when I had never died in a dream. If the brain believes it is dying, you have an NDE… which well, I’m not sure what they are like, but more intense then OBEs… it tries to replicate the experience… would you actually have died if you went with it? I’m not sure at all… I doubt it, your brain knows it isn’t real, but YOU don’t… (this is what I think anyway, since it is generating your dreams)

All I can say is one day you will die in a dream, and it won’t be like “oh my god I’m gonna die!” it’ll be like “wtf, someone shot me in the head, shouldn’t I be dead? Oh… I’m a ghost now” or something, and then you won’t worry about dying in dreams anymore, becuase it was a non-scary experience.

In fact, maybe that will happen tonight subliminal message :wink:

but yeah, the times where you think you are really going to die are scary, sa you become familiar with dreams more those tend to stop happening… all I can say is I’ve had that happen a few times, and I thought I came close to dying, mayeb I did, maybe I didn’t, but it was a fading white light, lots of adrenaline, things feeling like they were falling apart, and then I woke up… and I think really it was just the beginning of an NDE perhaps.

I’d like to have an NDE, proviidng it’s a good trip (and not from REALLY actually dying, just inducing it somehow in dream)…

the only real way you could die for real that I could forsee is being so scared you have a heart attack or something, but if you are in normal health that shouldn’t happen… for all the stress you endure, you get rested up in non dreaming sleep I’m sure.

oh yeah and when I was little I had a drowning dream where I forced my eyelids open gasping for breath, and I really thought I was abuot to die… I bet it was either apnea or I had just started holding my breath (in dream and real life) becuase I thought I was underwater… man it freaked me out.