Doesn't approve of ld

I explained LD to my mom, and she thinks its satanic and unnatural. She said that since she knows that I’m doing this, she’s going to worry about me. Do any of your parents feel this way ? And what she said (about it being satanic and unnatural) is making me have second thoughts… maybe I shouldn’t be doing it. Also, could this be considered a cult ? Because I don’t want to get involved in things like that…

My friends mom said the same thing, my mom thought that it was cool.

There is nothing satanic about it, all it is basically, is learning more how your mind works, and becoming more familiar with yourself.

I’m a christian (born again) and I am definatly not worshiping satan, I’m just having fun exploring my mind.

This isn’t in any way a cult. This isn’t even an organized group of people getting together, its just a forum where people come to share information (Actually, technicaly, reffering to the actual and proper definition of a cult, it is (“An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest”) but reffering to the more traditionaly accepted version, it isnt a cult)

Its neither satanic or unnatural. It is, in fact, very natural. People have Lucid Dreams all the time, they just don’t remember them.

Try explaining the concept of Lucid Dreams with her, show her the site, tell her what its all about. People are afraid of things they dont understand. When they understand, then they realize that there is nothing to be afraid of. Your moms just looking out for your best interests and well being. If you explain it too her she should understand, and if not its not the end of the world.

Cheers mate, hope it goes well.

Haha, that is pretty funny. If you live in the United States, I bet your mom is a Bush fan. This had nothing to do with cults. A colt is a sect of religion. Lucid dreaming has nothing to do with religion, some people choose to tie it in with certain beliefs with beliefs, but none are neccessary at all. I have never heard anyone say that it was evil or not right, really all I have gotten where shrugs, because it seems everyone I talk about it to, doesn’t even remember dreams and don’t think dreams are interesting at all. Your mom must not understand where dreams come from if she thinks they have some kind of connection with the devil. She needs to understand that everything that goes on in dreams comes from your brain and no where else.

At first my mom was afraid I would actually jump out of a window while sleeping, but then she told me that she had lucid dreams too, and now she’s okay with it. She even gave me a novel to read, it’s Stephen King’s Insomnia, and lucid dreams are mentionned in it.

I guess you should point out all the scientific research that was done in the area of lucid dreaming, maybe she would realise that there’s nothing satanic nor unnatural about it.

Buy EWLD and let her read it.

K thanks everyone. No we don’t live in the US, we live in Canada. It probably is because she doesn’t quite understand, it. And my dad is way more religious then her and he doesn’t seem to find it satanic. I’ll show her this site, and even this post to help her get a better understanding = )

heh I just remembered that my name id demon, hehe…

canaDA!!!eleven!!!one!!!one!one!~!eleven!!!

I don’t think you should worry if you just want to play around with breaking the laws of the physics and so on :smile:

I am (or was) a natural LDer, the reason why I practice LD again is because I remember how fun it was…there are more people who get LDs without trying…so why should it be dangerous?

watch the movie Waking life whit her ore show her a articel fom a science paper fom Canade…

u can show her this.

health.discovery.com/centers/sle … ch-08.html

Due to my talking about LDs, my mom got one. She stood in front of a mirror and peeled her skin off… No wonder she doesn’t like it :tongue: But she’s not against it. My dad however probably believes I’m making this all up because he says he never dreamed. That says it all…
Too bad many parents think LDing is something to be afraid of or to be avoided. Fear of the unknown I guess… :neutral:

LOL, Demon ! With your nickname, sure that Girliesteph will trust you :happy:

Girliesteph,
Lucid dreaming is not a cult, it’s an ability of human mind which has been studied scientifically for 30 years in Stanford University by Pr Laberge and others.
My mother is very religious ( and supersticious too ) and she doesn’t like me practising LD. But I’m a big boy now :smile: ( I’m 40 ) I don’t live anymore
at my parent’s home, so I do what I want. I just avoid to share with her my experiences, so that she’s not afraid.
People are generally afraid of what they don’t know. But I don’t think that you have very good conditions for practising LD. If your dad and mom are not convinced of the harmlessness of LDing, I would recommend you to give up for the moment.

People have natural fear of the unknown. If somebody came up to you and told you that they could do something that was totally out of the way of normal logic, they’re gonna think its strange and/or dangerous.

My Mum doesn’t mind me doing it, but she says, “I’m gonna do myself harm” with it. I say, “Well that might as well mean your dreams are harmful, it’s essentially the same thing”.

Just show her the evidence proving that its perfectly harmless.:smile:

Various things Jesus has said indicates he would be pro lucid dreaming, such as “heaven is inside you” (correct me if i’m wrong)… I interpret that as LOOK INWARD, not outward, for salvation. (ala lucid dreaming, meditation)

lucid dreaming is natural you will have lucid dreams whether you want to or not, once in a while… why would God force you to do something “Satanic” against your will?

Dreaming is natural, if we didn’t enter REM sleep we would eventually go insane and then die, therefore, “God” wants us to dream.

So since we see that God wants us to dream, there is nothing Satanic about pursuing an interest in dreaming.

Much like how someone who is fascinated by roller coasters will probably eventually try to ride them, someone fascinated by dreaming (normally a passive activity) will eventually try to climb aboard and interact with his dreams.

Both can be scary to the average person who doesn’t give a damn about them or doesn’t even know they exist… but that doesn’t make them “evil”

and if all else fails, start listening to Tool, then your mother will worry so much about your “Satanic” taste in music that she won’t care about you lucid dreaming anymore.

I’m Christian too (and similarly to Demon, born again). In my first long LD i even conciously prayed to God about real life matters and it felt great (i felt similar as in real life). LD is all about what you decide in your mind (or at least influenced with your mind). If you want to use your ld-s for worshipping satan and calling out demonic stuff within LD it’s possible. But if you want to use your ld-s for communicating with God - it is also possible (do you think that God doesn’t read your mind?). In other words: you can do both of those things in real life as you can do them in ld. It’s you who decides what to do in ld-s, not some demon, or whatever.

Since i started to be aware about ld-s and started to have longer ld-s, my real life actually improved. I actually have some mild social phobias, but LD-s are helping me to cure them. I have started to be more sociable, i think ;o)

Editional note: my wife was bit afraid of it too when i started to practice ld systematically. But now she has experiencing few ld-s herself and finds it exciting :cool_laugh:

I just browsed through this post and felt lucky I have an open minded mother. My mom was the one who told me about lucid dreams, and how meditation is good for clearing your mind. You have to have an open mind for some things, lucid dreams is one of them, and definetley a really neat thing. Neither my mother or I are christian… :confused:

oh yeah and if “God” talks to you in a dream please don’t take it seriously, this is how people who hear voices end up on killing sprees.

I mean, I don’t know why you’d dream up God telling you to kill someone but, you know, just be skeptical of any contacts you might have with “higher beings” “demons” “aliens” etc… it could happen, but… you know… .

Try and stay rational about it. I’ve never personally had a bad dream of a God or of Jesus, however someone on here had one where Jesus was quite mean to him.

It could’ve been real, but it’s best to stay skeptical.

my parents think that its awesome that I am interested in Lucid dreaming… I am not a christian