Shock

Every once in a while, when I am trying to fall asleep I get these strange shock type awakenings. They are similar to what I have read is a myoclonic jerk. Instead of simply jerking awake, I wake up in a shocked state. I’m sorry but I may not be able to describe it very well. It is almost like an all of a sudden extreme build up of anxiety, I feel as though I am falling for a split second, but it is EXTREMELY intense. When I awake I usually turn over. I’ll be sleeping on my right side and when this happens I roll onto my back and stare up, as I am now fully awake and scared as hell. I can feel adrenaline flowing through my body as soon as this happens.

Does anybody know what this is or what causes? any explanations?

Thanks for reading, and I am sorry if this is a redundant topic.

I’m afraid you’ve lost me. :smile:

I regularly experience those sudden awakenings, but never to the extent you described. Usually they’re accompanied by imagery of something about to hit me, or me falling over (as in your example), but the feeling doesn’t linger more than a second or two after I realize what’s going on.

Maybe someone else can relate to this better than I?

I think I know what you’re describing there, I think I often get them too. Sometimes I’ll get them multiple times a night and then none for a few weeks. Yeah, they’re really freaky if it’s the same thing. I think it’s just a feeling of starting to go to sleep and then being pulled out of it for no apparent reason. I’m probably wrong though.

I usually get that, but certainly not to the extent you described. When it happens to me it usually feels like my bes starts spinning and falling downwards. it’s really disorienting.

When this happens to me, it feels like falling through my bed! It takes a short while to calm down if they are strong. It looks like it’s a common thing. It’s at least not dangerous. :cool:

This has happened to me quite a few times also. This doesn’t happen often in my bed, but a lot more often when I try to sleep on my couch. I have never read into it at all, but my guess is that it has to do with your balance. It seems every time it happens, I’m on my side. It happens to the extent where my upper body quickly jolts up and I’m sitting up in bed awake.

I’ve only ever got these a few times, never as vivid as you have though.

I read somewhere that this was your astral body being pulled into your real body very fast. Take what you want from that explantion.

I doubt it has anything to do with an astral body. I have never heard of an astral body slamming into your sleeping body. Plus whenever it happens, it is almost the exact moment I fall asleep. I havn’t had it for a while though, but I think it is mainly because I always sleep in my bed now. Oh well. Maybe I should try to find some info to read up on it.

I have experiences similar but not as severe. For instance I remember clearly one I had when I had just got from that conscious state to the “off” unaware of the outside world state about to fall completely asleep. Anyways I had impression that I was walking (didn’t acutally see it more “felt” it) and I tripped over something right before I hit the ground I woke up with a startled adrenaline rush.

I bleive that it is if your body releases a sudden adrenline rush it causes you to jump awake in this odd fasion.

Yeah, I get that too.

Sometimes I’m almost dreaming but asleep… Or sometimes it feels like I fall through my bed…