PiHKAL and dreams

I had some very vivid dreams last night, one of which reminded me of a chapter I had read in PiHKAL. Close to the beginning of the book, Alexander’s friend licks a spatula which had powdered LSD on it, while he believed it to be Psylocybin (SP?).

In my dream, I somehow accidentally ingested LSD and started seeing crazy visuals, sort of… against my will, because I didn’t realise i’d taken LSD. It was so strange, felt so overwhelming and so real, but I didn’t twig I was dreaming. I’ve never taken LSD before, so I can’t say if it was realistic, and I doubt it was, as how would my subconscious have known what an LSD trip is like?

Anyways, has anybody else experienced anything similar?

I just remember, I was frantically trying to search for a Boards of Canada CD to put on before the trip started once i’d accepted it, though I couldnt find it before the trip took over.

what is PiHKAL?

PiHKAL = Phenethylamines I Have Known And Loved

It’s a great book by Alexander and Ann Shulgin, about his drug related discoveries.

One time I had a dream where I ate some magic mushrooms and hallucinated. Even though I’ve done shrooms before the dream experience was Much different, though still enjoyable. It almost felt like I had a waving wall of water infront of my eyes, with streaks of colour going through it.

I’ve heard of PiHKAL, though never read it. I do want to read it however. It’s supposed to be like Fear and Loathing isn’t it?

not really, it’s much more serious (bearing in mind i’m only on chapter 4) though I suppose it’s similar in terms of the type of thing it is. The substances which Shulgin takes however, are new. Nobody has ever taken them before, so he tries various doses and reports his findings. Well worth buying, around £10 second hand on amazon.

The second halves of PiHKAL and TiHKAL are avaliable for free online.

what exactly is the point you’re making? i’m not talking about his research, i’m talking about the autobiographical part.[/code]

I havn’t ever experienced that. But I imagine you had an idea of what it might be like.