Mathematics + LD

Last night I had an interesting dream where I just simply
calculated what 1000/7 is and I got the answer DIRECTLY.
So this made me think that you should be able to use LD
to calculate results for complicated equations also.

Try calculating the probability wave for the hydrogen atom for
example :content:

so in your dream you knew that 1000/7 was 142.85714285714285714285714285714?

if that’s true, and what he meant… then i’d be amazed!

Even if it worked, and it was correct, you wouldnt be able to remember a number that big after waking…
That number is hard enough for anyone to remember in real life, and things from dreams are even harder to remember…

Sorry, I’m not convinced this is such an amazing thing.

Most people remember that ab/c = a * (b/c)

Therefore, 1000/7 = 1000 * (1/7)

Everybody knows that you can multiply something by a power of ten (that is, 10, 100, 1000 etc) by moving the decimal place.

The trick is remembering that 1/7 = 0.142857 recurring. I’m not so surprised it was remembered.

So 1000/7 is not such a difficult sum.

Good luck with 26.48/392.4 :wink:

In fact… what is 26.48/392.4?

Multiply numerator and denominator by 100: 2648/39240 - you can simplify this to 1324/19620, to 162/9810, to 51/4905.

51 is a prime number, so you’re stuck there. That really is a hard calculation.

But I actually messed up somewhere, so maybe it isn’t! :smile:

Good point r3m0t. It’s probably coincidence whereby the sub-c already knew the outcome of 1:7 (probably because you came across this number, back in math class or when you were browsing or alike). In theory however I think it’s possible to use dreams to calculate things faster. But to do that you need to diminish all disturbing influences from your surface mind (expectations, associations, surface mind patterns) so deeper aspects of the sub-c can be reached. However, you can only calculate things you have encountered at some point in your life. So if you want to calculate the probability wave for the hydrogen atom in a dream, you need to be familiar with the principles of quantum mechanics, wave optics and higher maths. Otherwise I don’t think you’ll get much results :smile:

Yeah you need to be in to the stuff that you want to calculate.
The point was that if one were to search for creative answers
you could get them alot faster in dream-state. I was a bit too optimistic when I woke up :cool_laugh:

Not experienced enough to know how much the expectations
and other facors disturb the process in dream-state. Atleast
they disturb the subtle signals much when awake often overriding
the deeper signal.

But in dream-state intuition seems to be more direct and no
mind-chatter seems to exist.

How did you get 162 when halving 1324, and 51 when halving 162?

Scratches head

Agrees with Atheist

i hate math :sad:

I both love and hate math. I’m not good at math but I still like it because it’s so extremely usefull :grin: :grrr:

I made a mistake, as I noticed when I put 51/4905 and 26.48/392.4 into the calculator and found they were different.

Anyway, my original point was that 1000/7 is a dead easy mental calculation, with a bit of access to the subconscious and its (at least) good memory powers. :smile:

Well, in yout next LD, try to find the next unknown ‘prime number’ (is it called that way?, it’s ‘priemgetal’ in Dutch: a number which can only be divided by itself or by 0).
A little help: The latest discoverd ‘prime number’.

PaulM I think that that prime is a bit too big to calculate in you head :tongue:

PaulM, I also think that’s kind of big. How about the next prime from 1085?

Oh wait, that’s kinda big too.

Bah, guys, im not back to school yet, and you’re already filling my head with maths. i hate u…

You can’t do mathematics in a dream because the left side (left side right?) of your brian is shut down during dreaming, that’s why your dreams don’t make any sense. The left side of your brain is your logic side. That’s why you can’t do math in dreams (most likely your mind tricked you into believing that the answer you got was right, that’s what happened to me once).

It’s not completely shut down. Otherwiser you wouldn’t be able to do a single logical thing.

Don’t underestimate the power of the sub-conscious. Remember, our sub-conscious does very complicated calculations just to keep us balanced.

Therefore, it is likely that the sub-conscious could do maths.