learn to lucid dream at will

I have decided not to LD at will. Just 3 LDs a weak will do me!

In my opinion you should start with what technique appeals to you the most then go from there. As for how long will it take? That is impossible to say. Some people have lucid dreams on the first night while others don’t have there first LD until a few weeks or months.

My preference is the WILD method but, that is just me. There are plenty of people who can lucid dream at will using MILD.

If you seriously practice consistently and refuse to give up no matter what you will get there.

I think this is what many of us are after. I’ve been practicing for only a couple years and I’m still nowhere near the point of having LD’s at will. I have trouble remembering to constantly RC everyday, i’ll do it often for a week and then not do it again for a couple weeks, it’s not my best method. I’ve never randomly asked myself “am i dreaming?” in a dream, but I have done RC’s after figuring out I was in fact dreaming, as a confirmation. I think that’s where they are best served, personally. I’m also now finally able to experience WILD. I’ve been exploring LD’s for two years now and I’ve just gotten to this point. It’s a long journey which I don’t expect to ever really master, I just hope to increase my frequency. If there really was a trick to LD’s at will, I’m not sure all this discussion would be neccessary, there’d just be one post called “How to…” and a bunch of replies of “Ahh, got it”. I like all this extra posting though.

Well if i use wild iam very succesful with getting lds but also when i take a midday nap. Thas a sort extra long wbtb method.
Even laberge agrees that a midday nap is a very strong ld chance enhancer.

it’s nearly impossible to be able to do LD’s at will 100% of the time, esp. for some i would think.

I get nearly all my LD’s from taking a random RC or a RC when something didn’t seem right.
I rarely use it as confirmation… mainly because I very rarely just suddenly become lcuid.

But then again, I seem to be better at taking my RC through the day then you. So, once again, ti comes back down to your techs :smile:.

Personally I think the MILD method offers the greatest chance to learn to lucid dream at will. If you can teach yourself to wake between dreams, you are still half in the dream state so any reinforcing of intention is easily carried into the next dream. Once this becomes a routine with consistent practice I think it’s eventually quite possible to have a lucid dream anytime you want one.

Let me remind you that Jeff’s legendary LD power has been honed over how many decades??

Self hypnosis- if you’re good and prone to it- WILL do it for you! However many people find that they can’t hypnotize themselves (including me, and I’ve been going forever for a quick fix)

MILD- versatile. Want to use it all the time.

Meditation- ? Is this a technique??? No…

So. Most people can build their LDing empire up with MILD so they can get at least one LD a night. WBTB gets you results in conjunction with MILD too. WILD is a learned skill that is impossible for a lot of people to do without WBTB (I can’t do it at all) , but it doesnt rely on chance as much as MILD does. You can do both. Self hypnotize yourself to improve you ability if you can.

Anyways 100% is pretty impossible but you can get a very high success rate with MILD. Don’t look for perfection unless you’re willing to devote a LOT of time into it.

Holy crap did I just repeat myself three times in a row? Oh well. Screw editing.

Hello!

OK I am defenetly not a profi (only had about 22 LD’s until now), but I am trying the following: In about 99,999% of my dreams I talk to or meet persons. So I do a RC in real life everytime I meet people… Thats quite often, but I hope that this will work … If it would work, I would have many LDs…

I also try WILD in the morning. Hope that will work sometime…

Sorry for my poor English,

Greets from Germany!

Mild combined with Naps at midday are a very powerfull combination if u already had lds. Naps at midday are a sort wbtb but then extra large with the time before you go back to bed :smile:

Yes meditation is a tech because many ppl that practise za zen meditation in time of years get lds or more lds because of it!
Meditation trains u to be aware of your consciousness also when its empty or very passive and having no or not much thought activity.
So meditation is a tool but it demands dicipline to do it everyday.
Dicipline only works when you enjoy something.

But a Nap at midday sure gives great chances on a ld when u combine that with mild.

I"d like to encourage you - it is ABSOLUTELY possible to LD at will.

During the past couple of weeks I was experimenting with a new LD induction technique I found, and had 1-2 LD almost every night. It was fun, but another thing caught my attention: on about 4-5 separate occasions I induced a fully lucid dream at will .

Just thinking something like “Why dont I LD now?” and sure enough, within
seconds I was able to bring images from the darkness (or from my minds eye?) and enter them. It felt incredible.

What I did was “reentering” a dream. on many occasions, your REM period is interrupted before it ends. So you wake up, but there’s still some REM time left.
Using body’s defensive mechanisms, you can fall asleep again (“reenter”) the faded dream (or lucid dream).

I practiced similar technique before, but it resulted in WILD. which was really cool, but now I found the I can reenter dream in a different way.

Instead of waking up I stay focused on the darkness behind my eyelids and focus on the last scene of a faded dream.
within seconds, transparent siluettes appear and they grow more and more real. As more time passes, you (I) lose awareness of whereever I was and find myself where last dream ended.

↑ There are limitless applications of that technique (for example my LDs are 3-4 times longer now, as every time dream fades I reenter it and start where I left off)

So far there was only 2 weeks of experimenting with that technique, but it resulted in a lot of LDs.

Well… just wanted to share the technique :smile: Have fun!

Ev: i think i will try that one. sound like a cool idea to reenter a dream…

current experience for me about ld’s is pretty limited. ive only got one ld in all my life, but that was because i was convinced i would get one that night. i was simply killing all doubt about it, and being confident in that i would get a ld, and i did. it was like i knew i would get one. in that sense, all i have to do is get more confident in my ld’s, and i should get them, but seing as how ive been in a rather long state of depression, that isn’t easy.

welcome to the forum :smile: Thanks for the great advice and tips. I think it was very well explained. :happy: It sounds very interesting and useful.

Hey I jsut wanted to chime in here and say that I think that it is possible to learn to LD at will. I think that it takes a really long time and dedication but I think after I while you can get to the point where you can basically choose to have a lucid dream on any given night.

I also think that to get to this point lucid dreams either have to be really important or have some spiritual signifigance for you. I could be wrong but this is how I view my own person progression.

I also like your technique Ev, reminds me of what sort of happens to me sometime when I MILD. When I use MILD I basically consider that re-entering a dream.

ypm.

Actually, when you thought you were clicking your fingers to get into the lucid dream, you were already dreaming. Sorry to break it to you. :content:

It depends what you mean by “at will”. The best for “at will” will be a WILD/VILD type of technique, in which you go to bed with a wish to lucid dream and you use your technique to reach that in (say) 15 minutes. (I’m assuming you went to bed properly tired!)

The other “at will” is “very reliable”. An example of this is WBTB combined with MILD. If you don’t mind breaking your sleep, it’ll be very good.

Table outlining the most common techniques at the wikibook.

I don’t really like to say it, but not many people here have achieved this “at will” sort of thing. Perhaps 5 all the time I’ve been here. But don’t be discouraged: These are mainly people who have had dedication, not lost interest, and wanted to enjoy LDing as much as possible. That’s obviously you! :wink: Go for it! :smile:

@Ev: Thanks for sharing this technique, sounds very interesting!

Hmm… is erik_vidi listening, or is this page full of ramblings into the void?

on the topic of self hypnosis i told myself i would sleep until 10 and wake up, no waking up before then.

I did… but i didn’t remember that I wanted to do that, so when I woke up and it was 10 i was like wtf? and i was angry that i missed my early morning dreaming opportunites… and i was tired.

then i realized that my subconscious did what i asked of it and felt bad for being upset with it… :silent:

i cannot by any means LD at will though, except in peak morning conditions.

i am indeed listening
thanks for the answers, keep posting

I like the idea of combining different things and find a routine, a combo of techniques that works for you. anyone with tips for a good combo?
Im thinking that if you get a tip about a combo that works very well for antoher person, that might get you to believe in it more and therefore its easier to keep practising it. also you can start with it, and then experiment with time intervals etc. sort of cooking after a reciept and changing the spices… :smile:

I will for example give WILD combined with WBTB a shot for 2-3 months or so, and experiment with time, position in bed, activity during wake-period, wild-techniques…

I tried with getting up after six instead of five hours this morning, and had success at first atempt. several LDs… :smile:

Here is my formula for a combo of techniques that is working very well:

DJ/WBTB/WILD/RC in that order–

1. Dream Journal. Set your intention to wake after every dream and remember it. I wake every day at 4am using this and write my dream(s) in my journal. You must be able to do this. Practice!

2. WBTB. After writing, I get up and get a drink of water and stay up no longer than 5 minutes.

3. WILD ‘counting’ & RC. I use the ‘counting’ WILD method, BUT combine it with reality checks. I say to myself “1 I’m dreaming, 2 I’m dreaming…” all the way to 50. When I get to 50, I pinch my nose and try to breath. If I can’t breath, I start over again at 1. Eventually, if you stay aware and concentrate, when you get to 50 and pinch your nose, you’ll be able to breath and you will know you’re dreaming.

I’ve just started with this particular combination and I have success every time. I did MILD for a very long time, but I could never remember my intention. This technique is immediate, but it’s a little hard to do. You’ve got to concentrate and practice! When you find a method that works, it will get easier and easier.

Hope this helps. Basically try all methods for a while and eventually you’ll see what your mind responds to…