Dreaming that I had a lucid dream?

Alright, first a quick introduction. I’m a new dreamer, but for some reason I am having some unusual (or so it seems) luck with becoming lucid. I’ve done it twice this past week! However, my problems are the same that everyone else suffers from. I can’t seem to get any control once I become lucid.

For instance, the first time I had a lucid dream, it was hardly a dream, if I could even call it that. It was more like…I did my reality check (hold my nose and breathe in) and it worked! I was excited, but…there was no context to me dream. I don’t remember what I was doing nor do I remember seeing anything in my dream. It was like a blank slate.

The second time was last night, and it started off in a nightmare. I was being pursued by some sort of demon hounds, with fire in their mouths. But quickly thereafter I realized that the situation was really silly, and so I did my reality check, and lo and behold, it worked. I could breathe with my nose closed. So, once that happened, the dogs went away. I did what everyone else tries to do, and I tried to fly. However, nothing happened. I couldn’t make myself fly. But I looked at my hands and I had 6 fingers! Shortly after the fingers thing, I woke up.

Now, this is where my topic question comes in. It seems like all my lucidity is almost…false in a way. I have no control, and everything I do in my lucid dreams just seems like I’m spouting off information that I read off this site back to myself. Is it possible that I was just dreaming that I was having a lucid dream? Is this why I have no control once I become lucid?

Or, is this a really common problem? Has anyone else found themselves lucid and had no control? I’d like to be able to at least have some control over my dreams. It seems like my lucid dreams are just dreams that I still have no control over them, but I’m aware that I’m dreaming.

Thanks guy - look forward to your replies.

Its really about letting some time pass and reading more and more about the world of the LD. I don’t want to sound pompous, but i am a lucky LDer because ever since i found out about LDing, i hve 5 LDs a night. Now i dont’ even have to do RC or WILD or MILD, its like the moment i go into REM, i ALWAYS wake up in a false awakening, i immediately notice that the world is blurry, and i know im dreaming, (no seriously people, i can’t haven’t had a normal dream in a while and im starting to get annonyed because i never really rest with a fast paced heartrate), durgan, read read and read, learn everything about a LD, because if you have it embedded into your mind, it will come to you in the dream. Best of luck :peek:

Although it isn’t a common problem, some people do suffer from bad control (eg. me.).

Those WERE LD’s you had. A False LD is one in which you possess you’re powers, but don’t know you’re dreaming (the opposite to what you had then…).

With time, like me, you’ll get better at controlling your dreams. I find the best way is to ask a DC to show you how to do the things… most of them seem more then happy to teach you.
Who knows - you’re lack of control may make you even moe like me - in which your LD’s are very vivid and long (but of coarse, these come in time anyway).
At first you’ll find you take control when you don’t mean too (for example - it’s dark and the darkness is annoying. As soon as you get out of bed… a glow of light apears around you… yeah, that happened to me…)

People wil start telling you to remind your self that it’s a dream and that anythings possible… you can try that. But if it doesn’t help, don’t panic and just go with your LD’s until you can.

The realism and recall will improve with a little practice too.

I hope that’s helped you :grin:.

either your having problems controlling…or you just may not have obtained full lucidity…maybe you only had a small portion of it.

I’ve reached fairly high lucitiy, but haven’t been able to control.

High lucidity is being aware that you’re dreaming, aware that what around you isn’t real and aware that anything is possible. But just ebcause you’re aware that anything is possible doesn’t mean you can do it…

When I have such dreams, I prefer to call them lucid. But I asked a similar question some time ago, when my dreams were even more stupid than now and I would envy you… :grin: Maybe every one begins with a question if his/her dream was lucid or not. It’s more likely that yours were. Maybe, you should just think out a task you would perform in the next dream and not to try everything you have red about…
You wrote you were not able to fly… Have your ever flied in your NDs or only read about it?

off topic…but i like ure icon ilana :smile:

Ilana: a lucid dream is any dream in which you know you’re dreaming. Lucid means ‘aware’ (‘aware dreaming’, see?).

Whether or not you’re lucid has nothing at all to do with you’re powers. So yeah, you don’t just have to prefer to call them lucid, because they ARE lucid :wink:.

There is no spoon, no spoon! Only your mind! Bend your mind now, bend it… ;-p

freddurgan: My personal opinion on the “first” experience is that it was not a dream, but hypnagogic imagery. Hypnogogic (or hypnapompic) imagery is the stuff you see (or perhaps hear, etc) before (or after) you fall asleep. It tends not to be a full image or room; just fragments. If you pay attention after doing a reality check in this state, you will probably feel your body with a lot more ease than in a dream.* It’s a fragile state, and I’ve often found that attempts to move further into a proper dream have only pulled me back up to waking. It’s always worth a try, though :smile:

• I understand you have nothing to compare it to, but try anyway. :content:

I didn’t want to offend anyone. :cry: When I said that I call such dreams lucid, I only meant the first one, because it is so much my own dreams where I only wander in darkness or forget everything in the next false awakening… I count them as lucid but do not describe in the dream diary because there is just nothing to describe… But it is not the question of control; it is about remembering or something like that. And the second dream was definitely lucid, indeed, it sounded like an example from a book about lucid dreams! If the lucidity had been false in any sense of this word, it would have been easy to fly whenever you think it must be. :shy: