A truly pointless thread (RC fail or pass)

Ok, this is a nitpicking thing, more along the lines of curious observation then anything… but whenever anyone talks about a Reality Check, and the test proves (or seems to prove) that your in reality, it is said (in these forums, anyway) that the RC fails… the RC passes, and your dreaming, and NOT in reality… Just figured I’d be the guy to point this out and get poked with a stick for actually noticing it (and it’s hard to go a day without getting poked with a stick, nowadays…) Well, have a marvelous day, y’all.

eh?

yeah, I tend to ramble, sorry. I’m just saying it’s strange, because apparently…

A failed Reality Check = you having 5 fingers, not breathing through your pinched nose, the clock consistantly saying it’s 5:13…

A Passed Reality Check = you having 7 fingers, your sinuses are clear despite you pinching them shut, and according to your watch the time is " *(^&% " and consistantly changing.

Now what I’m wondering is, shouldn’t a reality check pass if your in reality, and fail if your in a dream, and not vica versa?

I’ve mentioned this before actually. It’s a little confusing sometimes, and it can be hard deciding exactly what somebody means. When an RC fails, does that mean you’re in real life, or that it showed the wrong result? In the wikibook glossary KirbyMeister has written definitions of “Real-Life Result” and “Dream result” but these have not caught on.

i think in a reality check succeeds…that means u r in fact in reality…not dreaming

thats how i thought it was :smile:

It is like that, because a reality check only passes if your surroundings are a reality. Therefore, if a reality check fails, it’s because you’re in a dream and not in reality. How we say it is perfect!

You can do a dream-check in which you try to fly to see if you’re in a dream. THEN if it doesnt work because you’re in real life it has failed, because the check is only successful if you’re in a dream!!

HAH. :confused:

does it really matter?

I like to think of a passed RC as “positive”, because it makes me so happy to find out I’m dreaming. :smile:

It doesn’t really mater, as the person usually makes it quite clear which one they meant…

For me, I say ‘pass’ when I’m dreaming and ‘failed’ when it tells me I’m awake. Bcause the main purpose of RC’s is to check to see whether or not you’re dreaming, and so when it tells you you’re dreaming it has ‘passed it’s purpose’.

^ Exactly…

It just depends how you look at it.

Yeah I noticed this thing, too. It always takes me a couple of seconds to understand what people are talking about.
When we are dreaming, we do a RC and see that we are dreaming, then we say that RC failed: it showed that the reality is not real, the reality was not valid.
And when we are dreaming, we do a RC and think we are not dreaming, then we, again, say that RC failed: it didn’t show that the reality is not real. :bored: It means that the RC itself was not valid.
Maybe it would be better to call it dream check… Because the purpose of the checking is to find out, if we are dreaming or not, isn’t it?
Certainly, I am not invested with the right to change common terminology. :grinnn:

A reality check shows which reality you’re in (a dream is real while it lasts). Wheter it’s failed or succeded depends on which one you want.