First-person vs. Third-person

Hi! I am relatively new to the whole lucid dreaming thing – and this board as well. I can consistently recall 2 to 3 dreams every night, but I haven’t yet had a lucid dream. :cry:

Everyone I ask about their dreams experiences them from the first-person perspective. My one friend that had a LD had it in first-person. However, every single dream I can recall is always from the third-person point of view.

My question is this: Do you have to have first-person perspective dreams in order to be lucid? Or can you have third-person LDs as well?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated, since I have not the faintest idea how to make myself dream in first-person. :confused:

welcome! well…i havnt had many LDs…but from the ones I have had…its only been in first person. if it was possible to do it in 3rd person…thatd be a very weird experience. it would be like playing a video game…and wouldnt seem as real.

I agree. I can’t imagine being able to have a lucid dream in third person. But don’t get discouraged, because I imagine that if you do a reality check and become lucid, that you might move into a first person point of view immediatly. But this I mean that what you see in front of you (yourself) will in fact become your first person point of view. That is just a thought I had.

I have a lot of dreams in third person. It seems like when I do have dreams in third person, there is always a subject that has to do with video recorders, VCRs, DVDs, or video games. An example of the last third person dream I had, I was first person the whole dream, then came a point where all the sudden I was in third person and then for some strange reason I was able to pause the dream and rewind it.

ive had 3rd person dreams…just i dont control them. i think lucid dreams r only possible in first person…

well…i take that back…u might be able to do 3rd person dreams…i dunno…im tired. lol.

well, I’ve had one 3rd person lucid dream in which I was mario, 8bit version.
Could only move left or right. It sucked. I ended it because it sucked so much. Jesus.

Well, you can have an LD in third person (as well as ND’s). Only, once you’re lucid you could change it abck to first person if you wanted too (you probably would anyways… but still…)

Maybe if you try spinning once you become lucid you will be in first person when you stop. I don’t trust spinning now, because the last time I did spinning I ended up in a non-lucid dream for the rest of the night. Sucked because I had it and was feeling fully aware and then decided to try to go somewhere else and started to spin and don’t remember anything after that.