comas...

Does any REM take place during a coma?

hmmm
id like to know that

i bet that it depends
on the type of coma and the person

I looked up comas on what seems to be a reliable site, and it says: “A comatose person is still very much alive, but he or she is not simply asleep. The brain wave activity in a comatose person is very different from that of a sleeping person; you can wake up a sleeping person, you can’t wake a person in a coma.” But that still doesn’t really answer my question.

Here’s the link if anyone wants it:
neurologychannel.com/coma/

I’m not sure really… Though I can imagine a coma isn’t just pure blackness.
Here are some previous topics about the issue:

[Coma's?)
[Do people dream in a coma?)
[Coma and LDing)

I think not, if one is in rem sleep you should be able to waken the person, unless there is real heavy brain damage but then you also wouldnt be able to dream. When you are in rem sleep you can easely be awakend.
Well you cant easely waken a person from a coma.

But i try to find more scientific data!

I agree you can’t really awaken someone from a coma. And if you did, how would you know? Some people wake up from comas and remember everything that went on around them. It would be interesting to know if they could recall any dreams they had.

I think that ppl in a coma are actually out of their body but don’t know how (or don’t want yet) to come back into it.

So it is not dreaming what they do… but what are your brainwaves like when you have an OBE? has that ever been measured?

Yes, people who are in a Coma are in REM state. Which means they are perfectly capable of having a lucid dream.

what a thought… not being able to wake up from a dream… are they constantly in REM or do they go through cycles ? I know you can dream in a coma, but are they stuck in REM ?

hmm… from the other threads (followed the links that were posted):

i guess that answers my question… i also read the EEG part (explaining that brainwaves of someone in a coma are different than those of a person sleeping or awake)

I believe they go in cycles. They are merely sleeping.

Woa that reminds me of my first OBE, near the end of which i wanted to return to my body but couldnt (for SO LONG…) and at one point thought that i was dead, i went through that ‘life-reflection’ thing and since then ive felt reborn, because eventually i returned and after regaining my senses and remembering was like ‘THANK YOU!!!’ (whoever/whatever :tongue: ). (ive recently gone through something similar as well) hehe, so thats two lives. :tongue: Wait, no ive gone through more lives than that… :eek: …Sorry for the tangent…

Comas comas comas…what if in this reality, your life you were really in a coma and its like, you were in a near-death situation when you were young, got better, but the reality is that you never got better, you went into a coma. (maybe even not that long a one, your memories of your ‘life’ perhaps…false)

God but just think about it…what if a loved one close to you (family, friend, whatever) ended up in a coma for one reason or another? Scary stuff…I mean, personally i wouldnt mind if i got in a coma or was in one (i used to have a fear of just ‘waking up’), but somebody in my family or one of my friends…i will no longer entertain the thought. :neutral: