The BIG WBTB Topic - Part II

The way I use WBTB is :

=> Wake up several hours after sleeping however you choose to do so. ( set alarm, Tell yourself I will wake up after every dream etc.)

=> Don’t stay up too long. At most just long enough to jot down a few notes in your dream journal and use the rest room.

=> Go right back to sleep using either WILD/MILD or similar technique.

I found that doing WBTB in this way works great and does not disrupt my sleep cycle at all so I can practice every night.

I’ll have a try of that! Can we call it the #sixty technique?

Was it MILD or WILD ? did he enter LD state fully awaken?

i guess i will try WBTB then imagine dreamscape while MILDing

Doesn’t the morning sun light make us more awake, preparing us for the day…

So wouldn’t it be a bad idea to go outside like Squall says and get exposed to sunlight, or could be the other way around? The body is still extremely tired after just 4-5 hours of sleep but the mind is alert and you’re more likely to stay conscious when you fall asleep…

Today morning i had one of those rare chances to try out WBTB method once again. I had 6 hour sleep and after waking up i felt that it would take a bit time until i get sleep again. So i thought to use it for WBTB. So i read EWLD for 15-20 minutes, and tried to get sleep after doing some autosuggestion/MILD. After 45 minutes i finally got some sleep. My problem with WBTB is that if i stay up too long and go to bed, my sleep (what i finally get) is very deep. So what i remember is that i was in fighting arena and trainer hurried us up (me and DC’s) to start to fight. I acted like in LD trying different methods to put my training partner down. I think it lasted only some seconds so when i woke up (i think that it was FA - i was very tired, so i really don’t recall was it real awakening, or not), i was dissapointed for having so short LD. Then i got more ND-s, etc, until i woke up.

But trying to recall it, i’m 99% sure that it was only a false LD. In morning i read about improving your skills in LD from EWLD, and most probably it was ND where i saw myself acting out this skill improving method in fighting (although i don’t need to improve it IRL), and the context didnt actually looked similar to genue LD :neutral:

ahhahahaha you crack me up, probably only because I just woke up to do this on 5 hours of sleep though :bored: victory is mine.

I did WBTB last night and stayed up for about 15 minutes. During that time I ate a Hershey’s Smores bar for a midnight snack. When I woke up in the morning, I found myself extremely tired for the amount of sleep I got.

Does eating at night mess up sleep or was it just the marshmellows in there or something?

Do you mean you were up for a total of 15 minutes or you stayed up for 15 minutes then went back to bed. If the later how long did it take you to actually get back to sleep.

I try to stay up as short a time as possible.

I don’t know much about lucid foods but I hear cheese is supposed to be a good snack for LD ‘ing.

A couple of times, I have come to work at the wrong time. Since I wasn’t supposed to work for another 6 hours, I walked 4 km back home and took a nap. It gave me a LD all three times. :cool: It takes a lot longer to fall asleep when the sun is up, but if you are sleepy enough it is opssible.

I turned on the light and got out of bed and stayed active for 15 minutes and went back to sleep. I don’t recall how long it took to get back to sleep, but it seemed fairly fast.

Also, while on the topic, do lights affect us a lot during WBTB? Doesn’t bright lights for a period of time in the middle of the night make your brain get rid of all the melatonin or something like that?

Have you tried not staying up that long. When you wake up just go right back to sleep. In fact if you do not have to don’t even get out of bed. That is what I do and it does not disturb my sleep. I am usually only up for a few minutes just enough time to use the bathroom and climb back in bed and bak in dreamland within a few minutes after that.

Not really sure. I know sunlight has an effect but, not artificial light as far as I know. Unless you use full spectrum bulbs.

wow just found this forum WBTB… well i use am alarm on my phone to get up, does that effect you in any way when you turn it off and then just go right back to sleep using WILD/MILD techniques? does the alarm make it harder to LD or not really and effect… but i also stay up for as little as possible which seems to work better for me since i cant get back to sleep after staying up 90 minutes… i usually sleeo abuot 7 hours anyways…

I tried WBTB last night. I fell asleep at about 11:20 or so, and set my alarm for 5:30 before that.

I got up, read LD4all for about 30 minutes, and tried to go back to sleep.

I was doing MILD, and I was tired, but I just couldn’t get back to sleep. Eventually I just masturbated and that conked me out five minutes later.

Bunch of questions if someone could answer them. :smile:

1. Is a certain number of hours to sleep before you wake up better than others? (Is 6 hours better than 4 or 5?)
  2. Is it really NECESSARY to stay up for 30 minutes, or could I say “Well, I’m up.” then go right back to sleep?
  3. Do you think masturbation’s not good to the LD process? (I read the thread, but it’s kind of a mix of yes’s and no’s.)

I don’t know, maybe it just takes a lot of experimenting.

Generally speaking, it’s said you have to wake up after 3 or 4 sleep cycles, so it makes 4.5 or 6 hours.

Laberge’s experiments have shown that you have 4 times more LD’s if you stood up for 60 minutes instead of 10 minutes.
More info at the Lucidity Institute.
So, it’s not necessary to stay up for a long time, but that’s better.

Yes and no. :tongue:

Ha.

Thanks Basilus West.

I tried it last night (got up at 4am after going to bed at about…10:30 or so). I wrote down some dreams and stayed up for about 20 minutes (kind of not FULLY awake), then went back to sleep.

Going back to sleep was just uncomfortable and verrrry tough. Usually I’m out like a LIGHT, but it’s been this way for awhile. I was hungry, and blah blah blah, pretty much, I just need to find a reliable way of getting to sleep.

(Although masturbation puts me out fast.)

But, since I’m not sure what it does to my DR. (I couldn’t even remember ANY after I woke up at 6. Maybe I just have this idea in my head that it hinders DR…? No idea. I just need a way to get to sleep.)

(It could quite possibly be that after I masturbate, I just conk right out, and don’t even focus on MILD or anything. Feedback?

Hello All,

Must say, the WBTB is my BEST(and seems to be the only) way to get lucid.

sometimes I will do the WBTB after my 4 and a half hours of sleep and it won’t work, but what works great is to again set my alarm for 1 hour and a half hoursbefore I really have to get up…I will put my alarm right next to me…when it goes off, I will press snooze(9minutes), I will drift to sleep…it will go off after the 9 minutes, press snooze…drift off…

Well it gives me about 10 chances to LD !
Yet, the LD will only be less than 9 minutes, because the alarm will go off again, but it’s all worth it because it is easy.
-Six

I’m doing WBTB right now. There was once a period where i used this technique so much that i began to naturally wake up after 6 hours but not have the time or motivation to continue the procedure. But i have been successful with this tech many times.

hey #six that sounds like a cool idea… at least for practicing :smile:
When you get better and start to close in on 10/10 you could stop the snoozing and there’s a big chance of an hour long LD when you WILD :happy:

It’s vacation so I’m gonna try WBTB again one of these days :smile:
The hardest part is going to sleep again. I can be the whole time a little bit sleepy but when I’m in bed again I’m completly awake. That’s very annoying. Any tips?

When you do WBTB don’t stay up too long ( only a few minutes at most ). In fact, if you do not have to don’t even get out of bed. It works for a lot of people who can’t get back to sleep if they stay up too long when doing WBTB.