Cannot stay lucid :( Any suggestions?

Hi… I have been studying and practicing lucid dreaming for quite some time now, and have had several lucid dreams. But in ALL of my lucid dreams I ALWAYS wake up as soon as I realize I am dreaming. I have never actually had an actual lucid dream (where I could do stuff)… i always woke up seconds after. I know a good technique is to stay calm. And I have tried doing this but it doesnt seem to be doing much.

Like i took a nap this evening, and I had a lucid dream.

In the dream I actually switched characters during it, and I realized I switched it, but I still did not realize that it was a dream. Anyways there where like two sides (a good side and a bad side… sorta like cops and robbers)… and at first I was the good guy and then i went into someone else and was on the bad side. Anyways We where at this scary looking house, and my other bad guy friends where with me. And I knew we had to go into the house so we didnt get caught. But the house was pretty creepy. So I said i do not want to go in there, so I decided to try and switch characters. I saw someone else and tried to ‘be’ him instead of who i was. Shortly after I tried that I thought to myself wait… this is a dream! And Then I remembered to stay calm but it didnt work and I woke up shortly after.

Actually this is weird… when I woke up, I opened my physical eyes. And My eyes where half-way open, and I could see the dream in front of my closed eye, and see the waking state in front of my opened eyes. The dream then slowly faded away and I awokened with sleep paralysis.

This has happened in all my dreams, I realize that I am dreaming, and say ‘wait, i am dreaming’ or something similar and then i wake up…

Anyone have any suggestions on how to stay lucid?

Thanks

when you say you tried to stay calm but it didn’t work.

do you mean

1.You tried to stay calm but got excited

or

2.stayed calm and you still woke up?

also how are you reacting to realize your dreaming?

What has worked for me is just saying “ok I’m dreaming” really soft and over time you’ll just be like “ok i’m dreaming so what no big deal”.

And when your realize you’re dreaming do you start to think about what you want to do? I suggest having planned what ever you want to do before,so there is no “ok what should I do first” type attitude.

I know these are pretty basic questions,but they have an effect on how you experience your ld’s.

I wish I could help, but I have the same problem. Last night, I had another LD. Somebody that I know was standing in front of me. We shook hands, kind of like he was congradulating me on becoming lucid. The dream started to fade, and I lost lucidity, but didn’t wake up.

I am encouraged by this dream, although it wasn’t a very good LD. It was probably my most vivid dream ever. (probably because I was finally convinced to keep a dream diary)

I have heard that it is a good idea to plan what you are going to do in your LD before you sleep, but I can never seem to remember.

There are sme tricks that I have heard to stay lucid.

There is the spinning trick, where you just spin around and it is supposed to help you stay lucid. I tried this once but I just woke up.

There is also some other stuff like looking at your hands and rubbing your hands together, but I haven’t tried them.

Just keep trying, because you should get it eventually!

I think the main thing thats waking you up, is knowing that you have woke up every other time right after realization, all you have to do is focus on something else and not worry about the waking up.

Paying attention to detail in the dream after realization occurs help to keep the lucidity, also makes everything more vivid.

You should always right after realization say, “Increase Lucidity NOW!” and then watch your dream become super vivid. this method is what I always use, and it never fails me.

So basically just don’t worry about it, it will happen eventually, and once it happens you will realize how easy it is to stay asleep and it will just come naturally.

Good Job getting this far though!

I have heard of the method where you say “increase lucidity now” and i should probably try it. But, usually I can’t remember to do anything in my dreams because I wake up too fast.

This frustrates me because I had my first LD on my 4th attempt, but after a month and a half, I still can’t stay lucid for moe than a few seconds.

I’m not discouraged, because I know many people have this problem, and I will keep trying, and eventually I will get it.

As soonas you become lucid, look at your hands and keep calm. After a few seconds and your sure you’re not going to wake up, carry on as normal.