life so strange, dreams seem normal

:eh:
One block to lucidity I am consistently running into, is not having that distinguishing fact between waking life and dream life. Wandering around strange places, having random people whisper things to me as I walk by, and seeing and experiencing bizzare happenings are completely normal to me. When I dream those things- it’s not enough to jog me into remembering I’m dreaming. I can tell when I’m dreaming and not dreaming, but I don’t know why. There is no one thing that determines ‘oh I’m really dreaming now’. I don’t have enough of a body to look at my watch, I’m never around lights, and I’m more of an observer than anything. :help:
anyone been here before?

i’m thoroughly confused :huh: but i’m gonna try to respond nonetheless…

i don’t see the fact that your WL is weird has anything to do with lucidity. if your everyday life is “weird”, then wouldn’t what’s “weird” become “normal” ??? what does “normal” mean anyway :bored:

there are plenty of people with “normal” lives (does anybody really have a “normal” life?) who have dreams that are extremely strange and don’t catch on and become lucid, so i’m not seeing why your “weird” waking life is going to prevent you from catching on in your dreams

i think it’s safe to say that we all have dreams that are themed from our WL from time to time, and i also think it’s safe to say that we have all failed to become lucid in a dream themed from our WL. so in that sense, your problem isn’t “weird” it’s… “normal”

if you can tell when you’re dreaming… then what’s the problem :eh: ???

to tell you the truth, in a lot if not most of my LDs, nothing really cues me that i’m dreaming, i just simply “wake up”

i dunno if answered your question (probably cause i’m not sure i really understood the question) please try to be more clear. oh well… i guess that’s all, good luck :yinyang:

I’m sorry I’m so confusing! :cry:
…ok, to rephrase…essentially, my life already has so much of what are described as ‘typical’ dream-like qualities, that my waking state and dream state are not all that different. In both, I’m pretty distanced, and not completely ‘there’.
what I was getting at was how hard it is to find a distinguishing quality that is a ‘dream indicator’ or ‘WL indicator’ when the two states are so similar. I know the difference… but I don’t Know why/how.

So essentially- outside of basic indicators, (lights, digital watch, etc) how do you fully become aware that you are dreaming?

and

How do you fully seperate your two states?

Many thanks, and please forgive my poor, rambling brain

That is often the exact same with me.

…though I can remember some dreams where it’s still taken me a short time to realize it, the feeling of dreaming.

it seems to me that you are trying to find concrete answers to questions that are very abstract and have been debated by philosophers for a helluva lot longer than you and i have been alive

good, that means you won’t try to jump off a bridge in WL thinking you can fly

i think there comes a point where you just know… i don’t become lucid in my dreams by doing RCs, it just dawns on me that it’s a dream. now i’m not saying RCs aren’t useful 'cause they are, if you want some ideas for some there are entire threads devoted to the subject. here’s a good place to start:
[url]the BIG Reality Check Topic [part II]]

fully separate them ??? not too sure that’s possible… and if it is possible, it wouldnt impress me as particularly desirable. who’s to say WL isn’t a dream (a particularly boring one i might add, i can’t even fly !!! ) if i could fully separate my WL from my dreams… maybe i’d stop questioning “reality”

no problem. i’ll forgive your rambling, if you forgive mine :yinyang: