Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

Gardens Gardens Gardens! :D

Author  Message 
Arabinator
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jun, 2009  Reply with quote

...I fail to see what purpose plants have in our daily lives, expect converting carbondioxide into oxygen.

Maneda
Cat-napper
Novice dreamer

^ and that they provide food for us and food for the animals whose meat we eat, maybe?

Loving the pictures in this thread. I've never gardened in my life-- the only thing I've ever grown from seeds is a small catnip plant that I keep in my bedroom. But this summer I decided to try growing something edible for more than just my kitties, so I got some big 5-gallon buckets and have been trying to grow tomatoes and beans in them. The first fruits appeared on the tomato plants today smile I am so excited.

Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods
LD count: a bunch.

Arabinator wrote:
...I fail to see what purpose plants have in our daily lives, expect converting carbondioxide into oxygen.

Then you're probably going to fail biology and literature in high school. :O

DayLight
RIP Albert Hofmann
cookie lover
LD count: ?

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jun, 2009  Reply with quote

Arabinator wrote:

that is the most ignorant thing i have heard a person say in a very very long time. human society has been built upon a symbiotic relationship with the plant world.

most obviously, plants are our main source of food...much more essential to health than meat, though i am not claiming meat is unhealthy or not a part of a balanced diet...it is...its just that the nutrients found in the plant world are much more beneficial and necessary.

even meat comes from plants. yes...meat comes from plants...what else are the animals supposed to eat? energy moves from the sun, into the plants, and into animals, and then us...with no plants there would be no meat

are you living in a house right now? if so you are living within a structure made of dead trees.

most things have roots in the natural world...even synthetic things like plastic or rubber had to start somewhere...

up until very recently the medicine of the world has been plant based. much of it still is. many medical advances have come out of the plant world, such as many strong painkillers that make peoples lives bearable, and Digoxin, a life saving glycoside found in the foxglove plant. it is a heart medication. were it not for plant based medicine in the past we would not have any of our current technology.

plants have been a huge part of religion for centuries. tribes in north an south america have entire religions built upon the use of psychedelic plants such as ayahuasca, peyote or magic mushrooms. The sacred drink kykeon of the eleusinian mysteries is said to be an infusion of the hallucinogenic ergot fungus growing on grains. Bruno might be framilar with the Brazilian church União do Vegetal, and their recent supreme court victory allowing them to use the plant based hallucinogen ayahuasca. besides the use of psychedelic plants many religions are based around the spirits in plants and nature as a whole.

do you(or your current/past girlfriends) wear perfume? the history of that material has its roots in fragrances distilled mainly from leaves and flowers.

and then the symbology. many countries have used the olive branch as a symbol of peace and goodwill, including Ancient Greece, USA, and on the UN seal. In eastern religious art the lotus is often depicted surrounding beings who are meditating or have attained enlightenment. Corn poppy is used to honor fallen veterans on veterans day. and the christmas tree is an obvious one.

on a recent trip to the desert i had the opportunity to find a copal tree and burn some of the sap later that night. this is a traditional incense. many plants are burned for their aroma for pleasure, odor control ,or religous ritual.

christ was brought frankincense and myrrh, both plant based products.

Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods
LD count: a bunch.

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jun, 2009  Reply with quote

Daniel wrote:
Arb wrote:

that is the most ignorant thing i have heard a person say in a very very long time.

Guess it's true what they say — you mess up with the plant, you mess up with the florist. grin

Daniel wrote:
are you living in a house right now? if so you are living within a structure made of dead trees.

That's not true for a great many countries out there.

Daniel wrote:
up until very recently the medicine of the world has been plant based.

It still is: even with those fancy substance banks they consult for synthetising new drugs, they need to hear about a medicinal use of this or that plant (and duly break the plant down to its active ingredients) in order to start the process of synthetizing a new substance.

Daniel wrote:
Bruno might be framilar with the Brazilian church União do Vegetal,

...seen as they were kind enough to kidnap the farm my father used to work in, while I was there to visit.

Daniel wrote:
and their recent supreme court victory allowing them to use the plant based hallucinogen ayahuasca.

We knew they were a strong lobby, here in Brazil, but it really came as a surprise when they got a binding judgment from the US supreme court — of all courts! — legalising the ceremonial use of the huasca.

Daniel wrote:
do you(or your current/past girlfriends) wear perfume? the history of that material has its roots in fragrances distilled mainly from leaves and flowers.

Some substances involved with, for instance, and while we're at it, perfumes don't yet have decent synthetical substitutes. Every time you buy a Channel nº5, you're helping destroy one of the Amazon's most precious plants, the rosewood, seen as how the perfume fixer is an extract from illegally extracted rosewood.

print