Rainbow Connection

Create a New Color While LDing!!

Author  Message 
Inny Binny
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008  Reply with quote

Quote:
Well I completed my first task. Seeing a colour that appears to me as a new one. Indeed a hard subject to explain, but I actaully saw something that was not a colour. It was sort of just, there. Not any color but just something that existed there. Eh, you probably don't understand. I feel that I am closer to being able to understand whatever "that" was, and maybe learning to create a colour to go in hand with it.

My friend once said that in a dream he saw something that was more sound than colour, and he couldn't explain it using English simply because our language is based upon what we experience.

Quote:
Binny, try not to be so negative, its crampin' up the joint.

I don't think I was being negative at all. smile I don't think having a differing viewpoint is negativity...I mean, I could say that someone is being negative for thinking that current science is wrong with their 'dreams tell the future' beliefs.

Quote:
After reading over this topic more, I've realized that it's possible that it would take virtually no stretch of your imagination. Just like in an LD when you imagine a person behind a door, and they are there all of a sudden. I think that somebody mentioned this, and I would think it's my best shot at cracking this... In your LD, just summon a piece of paper that has the color spectrum on it and expect that it will go farther than the visual realm.

The difference is that you know exactly what someone coming from behind a door is like based on experience, but you don't know what octarine looks like based on experience.

But yes, I agree that the best way to go about it would be to visualise a colour spectrum that extends further than normal, just like listening to a sound that gets higher and higher until it is both past the highest you have ever experienced and higher than your ears could ever let you experience.

Quote:
Now, on a more literal note, I asked my science teacher about this... Her response was that no other color exists. She stated that other wave lengths and frequencies most certainly exist, but if they are not visible, then they technically cannot be classified as a color... If we can't see the color, then it simply is not a color. It is just a different wave length/frequency that exists in space.

Well, technically a colour is something within the visible light spectrum, but that is semantical rather than physical - in other words, we could extend the definition to the entire (probably infinite) EM spectrum length and it wouldn't make a difference to our physical theories because that idea is just categorical, much like the difference between a planet and a dwarf planet isn't a physical difference, but just a linguistic difference we made up so we could organise them.

So the argument that an infrared colour isn't a colour is not based on actual physical reality, but rather just what we decide to be a colour...another culture could have decided that the term 'colour' meant near-IR as well as visible light...even the categories 'visible light' and 'UV' are just categories and don't mean anything physically.

Quote:
But do i think it's possible to see different wave lengths that a person may interpret as a color? Most definately.

But as a different colour?

Actually, I can't see why not the red you see might be utterly different to the red I see. After all, the colours are just meant to provide us with a way to interpret the frequencies. So for you, your brain might use 'red' for a 700nm light wavelength, but for me my brain might use 'blue', 'high-pitched sound' or some completely unknown thing to you for a 700nm light wavelength.

Quote:
Dead on. At least someone here understands the whole wavelength topic I described. Of course most scientists will tell you its impossible, thats even what I told myself before. Have they ever even tried it though? All scientific facts have come up from CrAzY ideas.

80 years ago we didn't even know of any other that galaxies existed, and now we are begining to believe that we are in an endless system of these. Nowadays we are even starting to prove that PARALLEL universes exist. You just never know what IS real until YOU yourself prove to YOU. eh?

The idea of a new colour is far from impossible (as said above, what you percieve to be 'colour' may be what I percieve to be 'sound' or 'taste' or '_'), it's just whether or not someone's brain can actually make that new colour, especially as one grows older. To percieve something new is a hard task, but there are obviously plenty of other things to be percived (to a jellyfish, sight is a ridiculous concept - and to us, the idea of bats and sonar is equally ridiculous). So the question is whether our brain is up to the task of percieving something new, like a new colour, or sonar, or the energy value of a Higgs field, and the question is not whether extra colours actually exist. Obviously they do, because our brain is the thing that makes them up in the first place! Science doesn't say that it's utterly impossible, it just requires a certain amount of imagination.

(a bit off-topic in reply to your second paragraph) Science does come up with some crazy things...that are all of course based on sound principles and mathematical descriptions. This is why I like science - or more specifically physics (and partly chemistry). It encompasses such a huge amount of tantalisingly awesome ideas, and yet doesn't resort to relying on unexplainable phenomena and unrepeatable experiments that only a select few can seem to perform. Who knew that invisbility cloaks were possible, that we can teleport or that we could some day take wormholes to far away galaxies? Yet these things can all be explained mathematically without any 'oogey-boogedness' - and interestingly enough, even when these were widely deemed to be impossible, there was nothing explicitly saying that they were impossible. Negative refractive indices, a requirement for an invisibility cloak, was always thought to be impossible...but there was no law saying it couldn't exist, it's just that there were none already existing in nature.

Many say science is boring, unimaginative and restrictive, especially those associated with the paranormal, yet science has far less bounds than the paranormal - where the paranormal is not mass producable, seem to apply to only a select few (mediums, alien abductions etc.) and requires some sort of special and exceptionally vague training (a lot of 'your inner being' sort of talk), science can apply to the masses, can actually give results when anyone asks for it and takes up none of your time trying to do something that is inexplicably meaningless and vague (try follow some levitation instructions, see where that gets you). It's also far more awe-inspiring to actually realise with utter certainty that they have photographed other planets outside our Solar System and seeing them for yourself than listening to someone go on about how they were taken to Alpha Centauri. Not only that, but science can do everything and more that the paranormal can do, and far, FAR more efficiently.

Well, except future-telling and free energy which it really does explicitly forbid, but that's for another day. wink

SumotoriDreams41
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
SumotoriDreams41 has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 5

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009  Reply with quote

I'm getting a headache thinking what a new color might look like

tyrael
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
tyrael has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct, 2009  Reply with quote

A note on this, the definition of a color is what we compare it to, so perhaps creating a substance/object that we can correlate with a new color with would be a proactive way of accomplishing this.

Rubiks_Cube_Man
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
Rubiks_Cube_Man has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes
LD count: lost count

PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct, 2009  Reply with quote

well, you might be able to see a new colour in a dream but you wouldnt be able to describe it

tyrael2
Dreamer

PostPosted: Thu 17 Oct, 2013  Reply with quote

still no success on this one

anonymous67890

PostPosted: Sat 19 Oct, 2013  Reply with quote

I don't actually think this is possible. Our eyes just receive information, but it is our brain that creates the colour, the quale. Electromagnetic waves with a wavelength of 400 nm aren't inherently "blue", it's just what our brain tells us. Other species, or even other people, might perceive it differently. And as such, I don't think we would be able to create or see new colours in our dreams, because our brain simply isn't programmed to know any different colours.

pugsmith
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Mon 04 Nov, 2013  Reply with quote

I always thought of it in the sense that you can only see colors that your mind "knows," i.e. the colors we currently perceive with our eyes. I'm not certain, though! it could be possible, who knows? smile

gemini.moon
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Mon 03 Feb, 2014  Reply with quote

I don't think it's possible to dream of a new colour. As far as I know, the brain is not capable of dreaming of something like that if it has not experienced it. For instance, it's actually impossible to dream of a person whom you've never seen. It could just be someone you saw on the street, or on TV, or even a brief face in a crowd of people. You don't have to acknowledge them for their face to appear in your dream, but you have to have seen them at one point or another. My best guess is that colours works the same way. If you haven't seen it, you can't dream about it.

Mew151
Ebil Mew Idol
LD4all addict
Scribes
Wolfgame
LD count: %d

gemini.moon wrote:
For instance, it's actually impossible to dream of a person whom you've never seen. It could just be someone you saw on the street, or on TV, or even a brief face in a crowd of people. You don't have to acknowledge them for their face to appear in your dream, but you have to have seen them at one point or another.

Personally I believe you can dream of a person whom you've never seen, because the brain knows what faces should look like and can construct one based on what it knows. However, with colors, the brain doesn't know what another color looks like so it can't do so.

But you could create something with interesting color properties, like a wall that cycles through the rainbow or something!

Current LD goal(s): Get a real LD; Shoot fireworks out of my hands; Become top idol

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
buttercup
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 1

relV wrote:
I am not disagreeing. I wish you success and as I said, Ill try it myself. That doesn't remove my strong doubts though.
Everything is possible.
You are raising a much wider discussion now.. About what is seeing, what is experiencing, what is perception . etc.. What is reality.
Now, first of all, what we see is our own translation of a quantum reality. There is no reality, each person has it's own reality and lives his own world.
We are obviously exposed to waves outside of our visible spectrum, this raises another discussion.. Not long ago, scientists were didn't know that there are sounds that exist which we simply cannot hear. And this is the basis for the theory of the parallel universe and the answer to the questions such as where are the astral, and other, higher mental universes. The answer of course is here. We simply have to raise our own vibration to be aware of those spheres. The universe is an energy continuum. Lots of people try to find a physical location to non physical planes, and that leads to the problems. Beyond this place, there are of course, no physical, no 3d and no time boundaries at all.
We can assume, that at this moment, when I am (I think) awake, I am exposed to an infinite number of sources of energy of infinite kinds. We are only able to perceive 5 types of these energy radiation and probably all of those 5 are limited to a certain degree of frequency.
We are beings in an infinite universe. The fact is we are constantly exposed to energy we are not aware of and is impossible for us to perceive (at this state).
As I already said, there is no reality.
Quantum Physics suggests (and to me it is quite obvious) that every person has his own reality.
One of my dreams can demonstrate this.
This is from December 2007.
Im sitting in my father's car and he's driving on Iven Gvirol Street. When he passes the King Shaul conjunction I notice something is not right. I can't point my finger to what, but that's the way I felt. I look around and things look different. The air looks different, the composition looks different.
The rest is irrelevant. I woke up wondering about the dream . The conjunction I was mentioning is a place I used to work and live nearby. A few hours after I woke up I realized what seemed odd in the dream. I had witnessed that conjunction as it was 6-7 years ago when I witnessed it as a child. In spite of the fact it haven't changed one bit. It looked completely different. I remembered how I used to vision that crossroads when I was little and how I see it now. This made me realize how our brain (according to many many things) translates the physical energy he is fed to whatever we choose to. That is the reason, there is no reality. Every one has is own. That is the reason that when I'm sitting here now, writing this on my laptop, listening to music while a friend of mine sits across the room, he listens to different music. He sees the room a bit different, and the color red is probably isn't exactly my color red either..
Now, the thing to remember is that in a dream, there are no physical characteristics.
There are no light or sound waves. or anything physical at all. The entire universe beyond the physical place is completely beyond the physical. Mental. With increasing energy ( and decreasing density) as we further increase our vibrations, ascending into inner and inner spheres. The entire universe is a mental universe. The physical plane is described by physics man David Bohm to be: "Frozen Light", energy moving so slow that it appears to be "frozen". nonetheless, the characteristics of a mental universe still apply and thoughts may take more time to manifest than inside a dream (lower density, higher energy..) but they still do. So, again coming back to the dream. You are perceiving energy the way you are used to while using your physical senses. When a DC has a red shirt, she doesn't have a shirt that projects 800nm light waves towards you. Your own SC gives her the color he find appropriate.
So, it is logical and assumable to believe that it doesn't matter what your brain "experienced" but what you have "seen". because only the things that are possible in your mind can be experienced by your astral self.
Having said all of that, I repeat the bottom line in which everything is possible and being open minded is always a necessity.
Something to try will be to take a paper which has the spectrum of light on it. Starting from below our visible spectrum and ending much higher above it. To look at the paper and try to summon it inside the dream and see what happens.
Again, this is a very very much complicated and interesting topic.
Cheers

P.S.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a persistent one"

This post articulated a lot of what I have been thinking about lately. Interesting enough It is unrelated to the color spectrum but about shared dreams. Whenever I read about shared dreaming experiments something doesn't sit right. Because they are all formed around physical locations. In waking life if you want to meet someone, you choose a time. And a physical location. It is my understanding that in a dream that won't get you anywhere. Visualizing dream crossroads and locations like that won't take you anywhere objective in a non physical reality. There needs to be some other way to merge your realities to perceive the same thing. Maybe a feeling or something. Or maybe it's something we haven't figured out yet. But we won't be a able to figure it out or even test anything about it until we come to a basic understanding of how that reality works. If it's indeed a reality.
Anyhow sorry for taking this off topic. I liked how you explained the perception.

And as an aside. Ive figured out the city you live in. smile

print