The internet is taking over

Is it just me, or does everything have a twitter account or stuff like that these days?

For example… The United States government has a blog.

I get what you are saying, it does seem there are twitter or whatever accounts for just about everything, from big corporations, to celebrities. I don’t think it’s taking over any more than it has previously though. It’s just that the information is becoming available in a new format. I mean, websites for just about every corporation and celebrity already exist.

One of my burrough’s pizza places has a twitter account from which you can order online. :meh:

Also, to elaborate on what I believe GreenDragon is saying: Twitter, FaceBook, Linked In… what ever it is these days, (even You Tube!) is a cheap and effective tool for marketing your business, products and services. In almost an instant you can announce the latest devolpment of your product! People want information and they want it now!

And they want it integrated, so they can read it all in a single application.

I don’t know about you guys but I love this Internet thing :cool:

The robots are taking over. And thats a metaphor to explain what society has become…

It’s interesting: today, the average person is less knowledgeable than the average person, say, 50 years ago, but that same person has much more access to knowledge. The Internet is amazing in the fact that it provides us with so much information and knowledge, but I have to wonder, are we becoming too reliant on it?

We may never know :tongue:
Even if we are, and we knew it, nothing will change…

I’m with tukkek on this one :smile: If it wasn’t for the internet, ld4all wouldn’t exist (And thanks to Q as well) And we wouldn’t have such easy access to LD information :grin:

So, yeah I love the internet :tongue:

Humans as a species are entirely reliant on tools for their survival. Computers and the internet are just advanced tools, I’m not sure I would say being reliant, whether we are or not, was a bad thing so much as just what we are. So long as we still have the choice of thinking what we want and making the computer do it, or letting it think for us and tell us what we want. I’d say it was ok. That is something entirely different though. That’s a question of surrendering your will to others. (The ones programming the computers.)

Where did the statement the average person today is less knowledgeable than somebody 50 years ago come from? I’m not sure I believe that. Do you have a link to some sources? I’m inclined to think the knowledge has just changed in type. Like 50 years ago we knew more about physical skills and less about say operating a computer or the various technical equipment we have now. I don’t think it’d be fair to label the older generation ‘less knowledgeable’ because of that, any more than labelling the new generation the same for not having more physical skills. We also have the option to learn these things if we choose to via the Internet. Knowledge of how to get knowledge is one of the most useful types.

Just my thoughts on this, didn’t intend to take the topic into a heavy discussion. :tongue:

Mmm, yeah, there is no source for that, I was just having a discussion with one of my teachers the other day. And I’m not meaning to sound arrogant or anything, but it’s pretty logical if you think about. Back in the day (hehe, yeah…) people had to know how things operated because oftentimes there weren’t interchangeable parts or specialized mechanics or anything. If something broke and you didn’t know how to fix it, it was broken. Period. However, if you knew how the device operated, you could fix it.

If you ask the average person today who owns an automobile, they would have no idea as to the intricacies of that automobile. Same goes with heating systems, electronics, etc.

I guess the difference between now and then is that in the past, at least people have known the tools they relied on. Today, we (as in average people) know little of the machines we rely on.

[center][color=orange]I believe we are much too dependant on electonics and Internet. For instance the year 2000 scare, where people were absolutely terrified that the world would end because computers didn’t reach the year 2000.

It makes me wonder what would happen if the world’s computers did somehow disappear. Businesses, personal files, airplanes, etc. It’s all controlled by computers.

Just my two cents. :3
[/center][/color]

Mmm, yeah, I know what you mean. A big scare that I know some “scientists” have about 2012 is that there’ll be a massive solar flare and will disable communications devices across the Earth, effectively isolating each community from each other. That’s probably just fear mongering at work, but it’s a situation that isn’t outside the realm of probability.

I think the problem is less that the information is out there, and more that we don’t really think about all that information. We read it and then go on to read something else. There is so much that we can only barely process it before moving on to the next thing.

Hmm I also love books, and for a certain knowledge I prefer reading books than looking on the internet. But I love the internet for the thoughts-share. I am of those who had access to internet at the age of 16-17, so I remember well how my social life was not very enjoyable and how I felt apart from the majority of people I knew. And then Internet appeared, I discovered chatting (and its dangers), and forums, and I was able to say "oh my god there is plenty of geeks, freaks, otakus like me out there. And I was able to have a high level of English, since French is my native language. What I like about the internet is that you can share a lot more of “out of the box” ideas than IRL where people never easily say what they really mean or think. I think internet has liberated us in a way, we can say more and more out loud what we think.

No wonder the chinese have control over their internet and research engines.