The Lucid Dreaming Wall (mainly for new members)

It’s cool post Rhewin :thumbs:, and I like it, because you make some very important things very clear. Just like you said, almost every new dreamer try to WILD. And I don’t get it. They don’t have DJ, no any recall and they want have LD’s. And I hate it when somebody says that he tried every technique in a week and that he can’t be lucid.

I know from my own experience, because i quit once before, but now I’m back. And I quit back then just because I had some changes in my life (big ones), and my recall wasn’t so good any more, i I just couldn’t keep my mind on dreaming and all this.

I don’t know if I should write about this here but I would like to here your opinion Rhewin. I started of course with dream recall, so basically with DJ. When I start remembering dreams, about two or three peer night, I started with MILD and RC’s. And few weeks back I’ve read about Castaneda technique, and added this to mine techniques (not basically mines but ones that I’m using). So far so good, but I’ve noticed that when something stressful happens it breaks my DR, but only for a night or two… What do you think? Is it a good start?

And sorry if’s my post to long… Cheers

I’ve also noticed all the beginners talking about WILD. I’ve had over 100 LDs in a little more than one and a half year and I think I’ve succeed with WILD once. I have not really practiced it much but i realize that it is hard and nothing for beginners.

Your 5th point is very important and simple :smile: Although I don’t call them Normal Dream anymore, I call them Non-lucid Dream :wink:
Great post.

Thank you both for the positive feedback :content:. I just hope this helps some new dreamers.

I think it’s a great start. RC’s are the best thing for a beginner to try and work on IMO. If you can understand the concept of staying aware and always having a little doubt as the whether you’re dreaming or not, you’ll get LD’s.

And don’t worry too much about stress breaking your recall. It is something that I think everyone goes through. Just stay calm, and let yourself escape into your dreams :content:

I would like to point out something very important.
Rhewin, you mentioned the problem, that many people don´t want to work so much for LDing.
I have to admit, that this is exactly my problem, too.
Yes I would really like to have many LDs and deep down I KNOW its great an I have to stick to it, but.

1. LDing gets harder, the more doubts you have.
  2. LDing gets harder, the smaller the part of your mind you have reserved for it is.
  3. LDing gets harder, the more stress it is to integrate things like writing in the DJ etc. in your daily life.

The result theese points is: You have to tidy up your life. Dont go to bed to late, dont play computer till you go to bed, dont think at twelve or sth. " Hm I should do some LD related things now and then I will go to bed (-> you will go to bed at one or two and that`s not good)
Also, you need to have enough time in the Morning, so you can wake up slowly and have time to remember and write your dreams (what may take more than half an hour if you write details and not only some keywords) . This means: DO NOT GO TO BED TO LATE. Also avoiding alarms would be better.
Also make LDing part of your life in general. Like your hobby that you do for about 10 years now is always present in your mind.

If I would do all this things, I know, LDing would come to me. Maybe not every night, but more and more and it would be great.

But to do all this things, I would have to tidy up my life, to change my life consequently, stop being lazy all the time and stop to spend my evening in front of the computer because im (")exhausted("). Also I personally would have to make a deal with my parents so they don´t disturb me because I hate to hear them coming in my room when i am meditating or sth. ( In fact I still have not told my father about LDing, only my mom and I think she has already forgot about it. Because of this I do LD related stuff only when they go to sleep what does not help with " dont go to bed to late" :content: )

And when I do not go for it and clean my lazy lifestyle, LDing will always be hard and a lot of work. it is a vicious circle when I don`t do it really, because small success leads to more doubts and the doubts to less success and less motivation.

I think this a main reason why many people give up after the first boost of motivation is fading. Also when you have been sticking with it for some time, this problems can make you stumble. ( I started LDing little more than one year ago and since summer holidays, I gave it up a little. Before autumn holidays I came back with new motivation because as I mentioned, I feel that LDing is something i want, I took part in the ND Challenge, but circumstances were bad and it soon went to the dogs again. Now I refuse to give up and start to slowly get back to it and be serious about it.)

Ah— and… It`s after twelve o clock again :wink:
Just as described.

Rhewin thanks for the topic it helped me because it made me formulate some things I would not talk about otherwise.

Regards, Chris

:eek: haha wall of text. Im sorry.

I’m glad to know it helped, Chris. Hopefully you’ll be able to start setting aside some time for LD’ing. I know how difficult it is once you lose that motivation. I gave up on LD’s for three years, and it wasn’t until I started getting some spontaneuos DILD’s that I really got back into it.

Really, I’m beginning to think that if people would just stick with it until the first LD (or first LD after a dryspell for older members), motivation wouldn’t be so much of an issue.

Nice post Rhewind ! Myself beeing a begginner noob that joined this forum two days ago, I know that we all can give up quickly.

The truth is, when i first started reading about dreams journals, I was like : ‘‘Remembering your dreams? Even more detailed dreams? HELL YEAH’’

Before, I only remembered like 1 dream every two weeks and it was just fragments, and I don’t know why, but I just LOVE dreams so I made myself a goal to remember at least one dream every night. I know i’m not gonna give up because it’s not a pain in the a$$ at all to have a ND but not a LD. Everytime I remember my dream, I tell myself how it was cool and that the next night, it’s gonna be even more awesome.

I really wanna do LDs, and NDs for me are everything but an obstacle, it’s more of a step between you and lucid dreaming.

I think people should first focus on how dreams are cool, instead of how lucid dreams are cool. :smile: Don’t you think i’m giving up if I don’t post on this forum, i’m always on it but most of the topics are about lucid dreams experiences and tips :razz:

BTW sorry for my bad english and for using ‘‘cool’’ too much lol, I’m a frenchie.

Nah, you’re English is fine. You’ve definitely gota good point on ND’s (hence me including it in the guide). So many people discount them but I’ve had some amazing adventures in them. It’s like I was saying before, starting out by building DR and learning to RC all the time is the best way to go. Getting used to your dreams and used to spotting them is a valuable tool. Techniques such as WILD and MILD need to have this skill, but too many people want to jump straight to instant LD’s.

I’m happy we think the same way about this. :razz:

Younger, I’ve tried something similar to WILD because I really wanted to do OBEs (or astral projections) and let me tell you, after months of trying, I still failed xD. Discovering LDs on the internet, I knew i shouldn’t do the same mistakes. (I also knew that if I failed making a lucid dream, I would still have an amazing experience of having an ND.)

Most of people enjoy dreams and find them fun, Lucid Dreams are ways to make it even more fun, but not to make normal dreams something boring. If you find your NDs awesome now, you should still find them awesome after dozens of LDs IMO. Dreams are dreams. :smile:

Yes. Most of my LD’s take place on Saturday morning after a long sleep after the school week is finished. And i notice that nights with less hours of sleep have less dreamrecall and LD’s.

Hey there.

Beautyful forum. :smile: I’ve been looking for such a place for a long time.
I know about lucidity for I don’t know, more then 5 years I guess… With me it was just like described in the first post. A couple of days/weeks of “training” and then nothing for a while. and over and over again. I realy don’t know how many times i have tried and failed. Had some ocasional LD’s which I couldnt even recal propperly. Tough times. :smile:
But lets say it was about 3 months since I decided (and this time for real) to start the journey once again and walk all the way.
Now I’m writting a DJ, sometimes only a few words, sometimes nothing and rarely also a couple of pages. My DR is weak but still better then nothing. I’m RCing all the time, besides that, I have even had a LD and it was pretty amazing… Could’nt recal it all the way and the percentage of my lucidity was pretty poor, but I’m still glad I had it… :happy:
Now I’m trying out all sorts of different techniques, but wasn’t successful with any of them (besides that one time, i had a MILD). I don’t realy know how to do a successful “training” programe, so I guess im stucked somewhere in the semi-dreaming hell… Hehe.
Well I will gladly accept any tips or tricks from any dreamer, and maybe if I get lucky, I would love to get/meet/work with a dream mentor…

Sorry for all the grammar mistakes, but this “window” I having a prety fun time teasing me… :happy:

A snowy greet from Slovenia.
Alex[/left]

Hey manplant :welcome:

It’s hard to say how i achieve lucidity and how i recall my dreams. Rhewins post sums it up pretty good. The only thing i can think of right now is Don’t try too hard.

A technique that I’ve been successful with lately is DEILD or Chaining. It’s a bit similar to WILD but you induce it right after waking up from another dream. Look it up :smile:

Hey WASD

There is one thing bothering me about DEILD. How can I write down my dream if I’m not “alowed” to move?

Well, with DEILD you technically wouldn’t be done dreaming. You’d be chaining one dream to another, so you’d write it down once you have completely finished. If you feel you can’t get back into a dream after a while, go ahead and stop to write and then go back.

As with WILD, the suggestion to not move doesn’t completely effect teh outcome, but it will make it much easier to slip back into a dream. For instance, if you have to swallow or you’re in a very uncomfortable position, it would probably be ok to move. You just don’t want to completely wake yourself up.

Great Post! It is very helpful!

Just as Rhewin said, write down the dream(s) after the DEILD-session.

I didn’t write down what the abbreviation for DEILD because i thought we had an acronym for it but apparently not. It’s Dream Exit Induced Lucid Dream.

Great post, Rhewin! :cheesy: (don’t know why this smilie, but it felt right)

One thing that really helped me when I started out (actually, I should do it more often now a days) is focus on the positive. I’d have a night without a LD and instead of thinking over and over on “aw, bummer, no LD” I would get the best part of the night and focus mainly on that. Anything from HI or SP would do. Or even better DR or hearing/remembering sound from a ND, or smell. Anything really.

Exactly, mattias! It took me a few months to figure out that a night without LD’s still had it’s own rewards. Being able to remember intense details, or just interesting dreams that resulting from failed WILD/VILD attempts is now enough to get me by :content:

you mean i can move a little when i WILD?

The reason we say to avoid movement is so that your body can “fall asleep” or go into SP faster. If you move without thinking, you’ll prolong the process but it won’t ruin it. The thing that ruins it is thinking “CAN’T MOVE… CAN’T SWALLOW… MUST NOT MOVE!!!”

If you have an itch, or you’re uncomfortable, or you need to swallow, fix it! Just don’t devote a lot of thought to it. Do it naturally like you do when you’re awake.

Now, once you’re in a comfortable position you should try to ignore what we call “roll over signals.” They are a way for your SC to test whether you are awake or not. If you don’t roll over, your body will fall asleep faster so you don’t have to keep your mind aware as long. The longer you make it, the more difficult it can become.

All of this varies from person to person, so it is important for yu to experiment some and see what works best for you :content:

that was a great post, it really got me thinking. well my first goal i set which is right now is to really increase my DR. so i am starting a dream journal and im not really trying to LD as much as increasing my DR. Ive been looking at the guides they seem pretty helpful. :woah: