the BIG remembering dreams topic part VI

well one think that i know that is essential to dream recall is a Dream journals o if you don’t have one get one as soon as possible. it seems to be the key to more vivid dreams and remembering them too.

I already have a dream journal.

One technique that works for me is to just lie very still with my eyes closed for a minute directly after waking up in the morning (this may take some practice), and try to remember your dreams.
I often find that I remember not only the dream I just woke up from, but at least some fragments of previous dreams as well. It’s not 100% foolproof, but it works most of the time :wink:.

Since you mentioned that you can sometimes remember other dreams by thinking about what happened before the events you do remember, this might enhance whatever you do currently.

I noticed that when I do this, I remember a LOT of dreams, dream fragments or even little reminiscents, but just as I reach for my DJ I forget some of them as a whole (especially when I chain). The process happens like this:

‘Okay, so I remember 2 dreams and 4 fragments.’ I get my DJ and pen. I write what I remember. ‘Hmm, 1 dream and 2 fragments written down. What were the rest of them? Remember, remember, remember!’ :angry:

Does this happen to anyone else? What would you suggest?

Sometimes, I have a hard time, remembering my dreams, but from time to time, I remember my dream in the middle of the day, out of noting. Happened to me today, I was having breakfast and bam, two dreams got back to me. :happy:

Unfortunately this happens to me all the time. I agree, it’s really frustrating :grrr:.
I wake up and have a lot of great stuff to write down, and by the time I get to my DJ all I end up with are maybe a song title and a random fragment like “LEGO cheeseburger” that isn’t too useful.

The best solution I’ve come up with is to try and quickly solidify the list of what you remember before reaching for your DJ. For example, if you remember two dreams and four fragments, list some defining feature (an important DC, song, location, feeling, etc) of each in your head, going through them all a couple of times. Repetition is sometimes useful.

For me, this usually makes the memory stick a little longer and helps me recall some of what I would normally forget. I’m hoping it gets easier over time with practice :smile:.

Hey guys,
I’m new to the LD4all forum, and new to the prospect of lucid dreaming. I have had this problem for a long time. I just cannot remember my dreams, i remembered a fragment of the ending of one about a week and a half ago, but this was before i started consciously wanting to remember my dreams. I have post-it notes on my home and work computer, saying “I will remember my dreams”, as well as the greeting on my phone says “recall dream”, as well as consciously telling myself throughout the day and before bed. And when i get up in the morning (even if i wake up during the night), i draw a complete blank. No images, no feelings, no sounds. I can remember dreams of my past, ones that have stuck with me since i was younger(about 11 or 12). I wrote the date preemptively in the dream journal i keep beside my bed (which remains empty, its disheartening =( ). I miss my dreams. Any other ideas as to what could help me?

Merged from a topic in General Lucidness. :dragon:

Are you getting proper sleep? That has greatly held me back here with my quest, but the circumstances of my current occupations make it hard to have a steady sleep schedule

I try to get to bed at 1:30am at latest. My occupation doesn’t mess too bad with my sleep. when i work days im in bet by 11:30, and up at 6:30 or 7. This week i work evenings sooo… 1:30 - 3 before bed. :meh:

Its so frustrating not being able to remember. It may be a mix of just everything, smoking (cigarettes and mj), diet, sleep pattern. Not to mention my memory is terrible on a good day :meh:, maybe i’m just not meant to remember?

If there’s any way you could wake up just a couple of hours before you actually have to get out of bed it will help you a lot. You’re mind is a bit more rested and it’s in general easier to remember dreams this way. You could use an alarm, but remember that you generally will wake up after a dream if you can train yourself to not roll over and fall asleep without thinking. Also we’ve found that a glass of milk or fresh fruit/juice before bed can also be helpful.

I can try that out, anything that helps me on my way. I’ll try those things out tonight :content:, hopefully it comes through and i can finally remember something =D

I would recommend to stop thinking about how much you can’t remember your dreams, because spending most of the day with thought: “I have to remember my dreams, did I see this note, did I see that note” etc, makes very wrong mindset. I really don’t have much experience with meditation, but I can say that it helps to “get” negative energy out and “put” positive in, trough meditation you can get this peace and and like I said get rid off negative energy.

Try to spend more time believing that you can remember your dreams, and that the DR isn’t something you can’t achieve… Try to be more positive about the “situation” [“situation” - you may call this a problem, but I more like to call this situation, another way to be more positive].

And if is possible, try to sleep as much as you can.

Peace!

EDIT: I’ve also red somewhere about technique for DR: You should take a glass of water, drink half right before bed time and said to yourself that when you in the morning drink the other half that you will remember your dreams!

Drug related comment removed :ysim: Also, before you goto bed each night. Train yourself to remain still when you wake up and try not to move for a few minutes while you try to remember what you dreamed about… Hope that works for ya.

Man i really like the sound of that drink idea thanks I’ve been having some trouble remembering dreams lately.

I’m not forcing myself to read the notes and stuff, they’re just passively in the places where i spend most of my time that way throughout the day i realize its there and repeat it in my head. Im going to give the water trick a try as well :content:. I think a big problem is how i wake up as well, i usually snap awake and move instantly, or open my eyes. Ill try to refrain from that as well. Thankyou for your help guys, i’ll let you know what the outcome is. Ill try it for the next few days first. Lets hope im not remembering them for a reason :tongue:

Before you go to bed,make sure u r fully relaxed (which means u have to stop worrying about forgetting dreams). it helps :smile:

Success!, last night before bed i drank a glass of milk, and when i was laying in the dark i let myself, unmoving and eventually my body became…hmm…fuzzy? I was counting my breaths and counted to 100, 2 and a half times. I think i must have fell asleep after that (it was about 4:30am,) so i was fairly tired so not surprised. I took Rhewin’s advice, and got up at woke up at 10:30. I think i remember dreaming, after i woke up the first time, but i must have fallen back asleep really quick. After i got up the second time is when i remembered.

I was sitting across from my friend Alex (i think), and the song “This could be anywhere in the world” by alexisonfire was playing from somewhere. I dont remember much of my surroundings, but i remember moving my fingers as if i were playing it on guitar and singing it while still looking at my friend. My house phone woke me up at that point.

I layed in bed for a few moments trying to determine if it was a dream, I’ve been listening to that song since i got up (have it stuck in my head), just like last night too oddly enough. :smile:, SO SUCCESS!! It might just be a fragment, but this is just the beginning

Great! It looks like you’re on the good road! Just keep it positive!

I do not remember my dreams perfectly. But when I dream I experience them and I’m aware of the moment. You do not remember what you did exactly 100 hours ago, but when you did it you were aware of it (lets presume you were not sleeping). Even in normal dreams I am aware while I dream them. Sometimes I wake up feeling and knowing that I’ve had a dream but I can’t remember it.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Yes many times, and sometimes if I spend enough time thinking about it I menage to remember fragments, but sometimes there is just the feeling!