Sleep Paralysis

Hey all! It’s my first time here (in the forum) but I’ve been to the site a couple of times in the past year. Anyway I haven’t been really constant with my efforts to lucid dream. Recently I came across a post (first on facebook then on 9gag.com) [9gag.com/gag/3340430] It shows you how to lucid dream. So I thought to myself, why not try this. While doing this, I feel a heavy weight on my whole body (but i had no difficulty in breathing) while being unable to move my arms or shout. More importantly I had a constant fear that something was in the room with me. After some research I found out this was called Sleep Paralysis or also known as the “Old Hag Syndrome”.
So I was wondering ,
can this be a quick way to lucid dream ?
or just scare the living bajeepers out of you ?
Also reading on the l4d site is
this considered a nightmare and can be “conquered” or just a hallucination?

thanks in advance!

PS. I feel really tired from trying to break away from sleep paralysis. haha :help:

Sleep paralysis can indeed be used to induce lucid dreams. If you have not already, read some of the guides on WILD, DILD, and any other techniques. Sleep paralysis can be both terrifying and very beautiful. It can be different each time one experiences it, and it can be different among different individuals. If you find yourself in sleep paralysis, and you want to get out of it, I would suggest you hold your breath if you can.

Can you call a dream lucid if you are just able to remember (most parts) of it ? :eh:

a dream is lucid if you know you are dreaming/ if you are aware of the fact that you’re dreaming

Alright after doing some more research I’ve read that sleep paralysis can cause and OBE (out of body experience)? To be clear this is different from lucid dreaming right ?
I’ve also heard that you could get possessed by experiencing an OBE or Astral Projection ? Has anyone here experienced this ? I think this is something like the movie Insidious :neutral:

Well, this depends on your beliefs :tongue:. Many people believe OBE’s are just LD’s, others believe you actually leave your body… kind of hard to prove.

And welcome :wave:

thank you! :grin:

Hi also first time here, i registered a week ago and similar to OP I saw a meme about this which piqued my curiosity. Perhaps the same one?
I watched all the lucidology 101 videos on youtube and got started on trying to induce a sleep paralysis. It was helpful coming here and searching old topics and reading the FAQ, i learned to recognise some of the things that can be expected when trying to have lucid dreams. For a week or so I have had varying levels of success but i’m at a plateau. I lie still and relaxed and ignore the compulsion to move or itch and a numbness sets in in my hands and feet before too long. A couple of times out of nowhere a shock travels across my chest or shoulder which I also saw is expected but its near impossible to not have convulsed / reacted in the same second that this occurs because its so fast and intense.
If this occurs, it’s a big step back and i can pretty much forget about getting further.
I haven’t had full sleep paralysis yet, i can always move my head if i want to and I only need to concentrate for a few seconds to move my limbs again. Any tips you can share based on what I have described?

About sleep paralysis, i have it almost every morning. And i kinda like it. The thing is when you are in sleep paralysis, don’t open your eyes you might see something a little scary. And by seeing it will make you more scared and the sound you hear will become more scary if it is scary at all. When your lying in bed in sp you gonna wanna say to yourself, "Now I’m going to listen to my favorite music " and the music will be all you are going to hear. Although sp can be scary it is all because you are already scared of sleep paralysis. My advice is to be happy when you notice that your in sleep paralysis.