Can you *learn* something in a LD?

(/\ ) its like,you dont know how to swim in real life,but in A LD,
( |----------- topic subject) you summon someone to teach you how to swim,and you
learn how to swim,(by the way,i do know how to swim,just an example :razz:)and then if
you wake up,you remember it? 'cause i would like someone to help with my exams or stuff. (oh and another by the way,im new here,and i had lucid dream only once by mistake.So i never really had a lucid dream by my own,so i dont know very much about this)

Hello NightmareAssassin.

Consider that dreams are simulations, and simulations can be accurate and inaccurate.
It’s possible to learn things in LDs and remember them after waking up, however, what you learn may be inacurrate for real life.

I think you should try it anyway. Good luck.

Thanks!

I will still give it a try,if I can have a Lucid dream again.

I’ve heard of people practicing fighting techniques in lucid dreams. But swimming? NO.
You need to have done something first before doing it in a dream i guess…

lol,yes. but as i said,just an example.

Yes, you can, I learned that our President can sing!

In “Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming” by LaBerge, he says it can help you learn new things and help study

If I remember correctly, Paul Tholey made a lot of research about whether it is possible to learn skills, especially physical ones, in a LD and being able to perform them IRL. It is possible, however you need knowledge about the thing you want to learn.

There’s been a lot of speculation about this, when I was on this site about two years ago there was an incredibly long topic with a few people arguing different things and speculating what exactly “learning” is. The fact of the matter is: No new facts that you don’t already know can be learned. However, they can be re-learned. Things you forgot can re-appear in the form of having a conversation with a DC, and them randomly saying, “Hey, did you know the boiling point of water is 100c?”, with you replying, “I had no idea!”, when you learned that in the sixth grade.

However, certain techniques CAN be learned in dreams. Fighting, like you said. If it takes place in a controlled environment with similar physics to the waking world, and you are an experienced lucid dreamer, you can control your enemies stance to fabricate situations in which you can practice on a “living” target. However, due to the erratic nature of dreams, I would suggest doing something like that in an OBE or a very vivid dream.
It’s also well to point out that nothing besides the muscle memory can be learned. You can’t gain muscle mass from working out in a lucid dream, but that was probably obvious at this point.

I believe you could learn how to swim in a lucid dream, in fact, it would be quite easy considering most people can breath underwater in dreams, and that habit can also be learned for those that have too much realism in their dreams. Swimming was always instinctive for me, but for anyone who doesn’t know, all they need to do is become lucid, then hop in the nearest ocean. Then, they’d have a testing environment in which they can learn the muscle memory of “swimming”, without any possible risk of drowning.

Pretty interesting topic :content:

It seems like I can :razz:,thanks guys.

Ezio here I come!

Once i dreampt that i was telling myself the difference between two vocab words that i got mixed up with a lot. In the day of the vocab test, i couldnt remember which word meant which untill i remembered the dream. It helped me in my test. :content:
Another instance a dream reminded me of a homework that i almost forgot to do.

I think your brain can make some pretty useful gimmicks during dreams to help you remember things, but when it comes to math i dunno, maybe remembering formulas but i dunno if i can solve math problems because usually words and numbers in my dreams are unstable and/or illegible…

You cannot learn new skills accurately inside dreams without experiencing them firsthand in real life. However, for example, I believe knowledge could be deduced from experience (such as doing maths).

but can you by example if you just read trough your history book cause you need to studie and then go to sleep and get a LD can you then leanr those things better by summoning those things that you learned like if you need to study acient greece stuff and you learned how they look like you create a ancient greece city will that help remembering?

You can use LD s to practice something you want to learn but like most people said it ,there is no way you can learn thing you have no knowledge.
You said getting help in exams , that can be done.If you study first ,then you can use LD to remember things you’ve study well.
If you read an article about martial arts , you can use it to practise in LD.And if you one day become professional in LDs , see vivid dreams like WL , you can leran everything.But you can’t create thing that you don’t have knowledge.That’s the only example.
I’m trying to improve my personality for example.I read articles about self improving stuff and I want to practise it with talking DCs , discussing this things with them , have a guide to help me(still searching).
All that I’m saying is you can use it as a practice field.

I wouldn’t really say it would help you in class by living in that time period. The things you go over in history are usually located in your textbooks, yes, but what do they test you over? Facts about the time period, nothing more. For example: if you read through your textbook over the time period of rome, then tried to have a lucid dream/OBE over the material, unless you remember complete facts about the time period, like “oh look, there’s the roman military, I think they call that formation a phalanx!”, then what would be the point of remembering when you would do the same IRL? All you’re really doing is fabricating a situation in which you would be forced to remember small facts you may cover in a test. As for a practical use in terms of schooling, the only real situation I could think of is maybe something like these:

Medical students: possibly practicing surgery on DC’s who have certain conditions, such as a man who has been shot; you’re required to know a pattern of “what-to-do’s”, and what better place to practice in then in an environment when nobody can get hurt? Sure most, if not all, medical students get a job as an intern in a hospital or other care facility, but all that is is training. If you can fabricate your own situations, it may prove as a good field to study in.

Electrical engineers: Imagine being able to build impossible circuits of electrical engineering, all within the laws of physics. You could practice building certain circuits to do certain things, say create an “electrical generator”, it could be any object really, maybe a small box that looks like it’s covered with motherboards that fits in the palm of your hands. Now imagine, taking any length of metal wire, and fabricating a circuit that activates a platform in a building; a platform that levitates. It acts like an elevator, and it’s powered by something you yourself wired up. Now imagine making something more complex, something like the lighting within a certain building, or possibly wire doors to open only when certain things are done. Electrical engineers are taught of switches: anything that connects two lengths of “track” so that the circuit can be complete, well, in a dream, whats stopping anything from being a switch? This is where the fun parts come in.

Artists: Not too many things can be done here, but what if you were to create an art gallery displaying all your favorite paintings for you to study. All the collective works from say, Salvador Dolley? Van Goh? Anyone, even.

And for that matter, any other profession need only a bit of thought, and a practical application for the study of your field could be created.

[Developing Photographic memory in a LD)

Pls check this post. I thought of a similar thing.

I think you can develop a photographic memory which will be helpful to you IRL. I have posted a technique. Pls read this and comment.

Double posts edited together and double link removed. :mattias: