I want your thoughts on this method

Hey! I’m getting into this stuff again and this site is a big motivator.

I’d like to discuss a possible method that is related to OILD. This method is pretty young and I have not tested it, but the idea is simple. Someone else might have thought about this already so forgive me if a similar topic’s already there.

So in a recent dream I recall, I remember using a pencil. I use the same one at school so I guess the dream had something to do with school. :meh: The thing is, in my dream the pen was not sharp and in waking life it was in good condition. Still wondering why I didn’t realise it! “Hey, wait a minute… how come this is blunt when I just sharpened it yesterday?” :razz:

The idea is to spot the changes in a dream object to spark lucidity. Lemme give you an example: I grab the pencil and memorize it so that it’s in my head for sometime, then I snap it in two and focus on the fact that it’s broken. When and if the pencil shows up in my dreams in different condition, I realise I’m dreaming.

Got the idea? Of course you could have a variety of objects to play with, not just pencils. :happy: Give me your thoughts on this and if someone has tried something similar tell me if it works well.

But what if your broken pencil appears in your dream? You will never know the difference.
Also, then you would rely on one object to appear in a dream. I don’t really know how it works, but my dreams are so random most of the times. I don’t always dream about something what happened recently.

You have a point there. But you never know what kind of message you’ll get. It might work like Netopalis’s OILD aka “Object Induced Lucid Dream” method.

And hmm… if the object had some sentimental value it might yield better results. :razz: Though I wouldn’t break/alter anything that’s dear to me. I think if you focus on the object longer it should come into your dreams.

You guys got me thinking about this and I have an idea. Maybe if you think about something or someone dear, that you have lost being still alive/being there.
But I wouldnt try this, cause of 2 reasons:

1. Maybe it’ll induce a nightmare. Even if you get lucid, having a nightmare is no fun.
  2. Maybe you’ll have a dream about it, and it’s so good you dont want to realize anything, you just want to go with it.
    Besides, thinking about these kind of things might not be fun. Hence you lose the purpose of LD. Getting an LD no matter what is not what I would want to do.

I am liking what SlumberLord and Telarion are saying. Maybe this method would work better with an object, not a person, that you do not have the possibility of owning. Like…focusing on the clothes u have when you’re awake so when you are sleeping you will automatically check the clothes you are wearing and realize you don’t have those clothes. And you could focus on all objects you are holding or that are close to you. If these objects seem impractical or questionable do a RC.

Huh, I always though object induced dreams were… Eh- nevermind. So if we place an item as a reality check, then would we have to have a small enough item in our pockets that we take out each time? Can it be stationary? Can I do it to my xbox 360 or PS3? Will there be a console war after what I just said? Will our heroes finally end their journey home or will they find trouble in LD4ALL!? see you next episode!

That’s how my mind works.

Haha Dragonmind, too much DBZ? Let’s stay on topic though. :happy:

I think any item will do as long as it has some meaning. You just need to keep it in your mind and remember how you altered it before sleep.

I’m gonna experiment on this soon. I haven’t picked my “RC item” yet though…

Though the last reply is a month old, I’ll post some ideas because it seems to me that OILD can be a viable technique. It may have lots of untapped potential.

The most important aspect of this tech is of course the choice of object. It seems that it is hard to pick a certain thing that should somehow magically appear in one’s dream. But there is one object that all lucid dreamers must have and can be used to RC. Our beloved DJ-s. I don’t know which kind of DJ-s do people use, but mine is a small notebook that fits into my pocket so it can stay with me all day. Since I check my DJ often and associate it with sleeping, it has been in my dreams three times in a few weeks already. And one dream was particularly interesting.

I woke up from a dream around 3:50 but didn’t write the dream down. I just tried to memorise it and promised myself to write it in my DJ as soon as I gather the strength to desert my soft and warm bed. Of course I didn’t do it and fell asleep. But the intention stayed in me and when I FA-d from the next dream, I took my DJ and opened it. I was really annoyed at the fact that it was all scraped off. As always, I accused my brother of violating my property and dismissed the DJ.

When I woke IRL, I realised that since the diary contained my dreams and general notes about reality vs. dream world, my dear brain didn’t want me to compare my notes with the situation at hand. It blocked the content of my DJ purposely.

In another dream I FA-d and started to record the dream before (in which I was flying) but my DJ was full of pictures of different dogs. One was a small dog with glasses like the early open-cockpit plane pilots used to have. The other was a dog the size of a camel! It seemed a bit odd but I hadn’t concentrated enough before to notice dream signs.

So, your DJ might be the perfect object to try and perform OILD. In my case, it mixed a bit with MILD as well.

So my suggested technique would be:
0. Draw pictures and compile RC notes into your DJ. Study it once in a while to associate it with the topic of reality vs. dream

1. Wake from a dream in the middle of the night
  2. Don’t write it down but promise yourself to do it soon
  3. Enjoy the comfort of your bed and fall asleep to dream again
  4. Hopefully, in your dream you will take out your DJ and try to read it or write in it but usually the DJ is weird and you’ll notice it

It’s not pure MILD or OILD but I think it can be used.

Sweet dreams,
Raul