Having achieved lucidity, but unable to recreate the dream

I would like to introduce myself to the forum; My name is Tor, male, 27 yrs.
I have recently become interested in lucid dreaming, after reading the “Lucid dreams in 30 days” book.
I started applying some of the techniques from the book, but I found it hard to be so organised about it. So now I am going more “freestyle”.
I have practised dream recall, and I usually remember 1-3 dreams per night, although they are sometimes quite fragmented.
I have practised some reality check, but could definitely do it more, so I will try to work that out.
I have so far achieved lucidity 3 times (I can remember of), but I haven’t yet been able to actually affect the dream in any significant way. This morning before I woke I dreamt I was running for a train, but some strange force held me from running very fast. So I realised I was dreaming. Then the dream disappeared, and I was half awake, and aware of myself lying in the bed. However I managed to stay sleeping for some time, while trying the spinning technique. Each time I spun, I had a weird chilling/shaking sensation going through my body. I tried to create a jungle landscape, but I only managed to see a vague light. Then I woke up, a little disappointed that I had let it slip… After a little time I REALLY woke up, realising that I had just had a false awakening in my dream. I realise this is precisely the situation, where I should have performed a reality check :smile:
My main technique for achieving lucidity has so far been to recognize clear dreamsigns. I often dream of recurrent themes, like not being able to move, not being able to see, my teeth falling out and such. The appearance of these themes help me realise I’m dreaming. I guess you could call it “passive” reality check :smile:

Do any of you have suggestions for further techiniques I could use when I have achieved lucidity to stay lucid? Both of the other times I achieved lucidity the dream also disappeared, leaving just “blackness”. All times I attempted to recreate the dreamscape, but failed. I find the spinning technique a little hard, but perhaps I just need to practise more?

I know my questions are quite possibly very standard beginner’s questions, I’m sorry if I’m just taking up space. But I felt it would be nice to just share my experience, and maybe get some advice on my particular situation.
Thanks!

My longest and greatest lucid dreams, actually comes from false awakenings! I say EVERY TIME you wake up in your bed, do a reality check. And also if you manage to realise its a false awakening, it may not be enough to do a RC cause in my FA i am usually really tired and can’t move!

So if something like that happens in your false awakening just command everything you want to happen. Example: Stop paralysis! or Increase vision! Then when you get out of your bed it’s up to you, i would suggest flying out of your window.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum by the way Tor!

@Frequent:
Thank you for your welcome and your suggestions!
Actually I also had FA one of the other two times I became lucid, so it seems to be a recurrent situation (like I also read is normal for beginners).
I will try and follow your suggestion about doing RC every time I wake up. My problem these two times was of course, that I was no longer lucid after the FA, so I didn’t even think of doing an RC.
Hopefully getting used to doing it in waking life will make me prone to doing it after FA too :smile:

Glad i could help!
you should put up a piece of paper on your wall next to your bed, and every time you wake up look at it and then do an reality check. If it isn’t there you will know somethings off and do a reality check either way.

Great idea! I will do that tonight :smile:

I have the same problem. I achieve lucidity then go into the pre-sleep phase. But I’m in a movie theater and I see the dream I’m going enter and every time i usually realize I’m dreaming instantly but calmly. Then the “movie theater” fades away and i end up in the pre-sleep phase. It happens usually in the mornings for me a bit before I wake up to go to work. It happened 3 times this morning and once the day before yesterday. Any ideas what to do people? :help:

for me, a few times when i am in a LD and the dream kinda fade/blackout, if i can still feel my hands, i will just do RC again and focus on breathing through my nose, last time i did that it saved the day and the dreamscape comes up again

The tricky part here is to actually do one even when you “know” that you are awake.
But I guess you will just have to think “what the hell? I’ll just make a Reality Check anyway, it could be a dream”. :tongue: