Can you confirm that this was a false LD?

I recently had what I believe to be a false LD, but I’d like to confirm it with you guys, since it’s the first I’ve had, false or not.

Basically,I woke up one morning and jotted down one of my vivid dreams (I’m getting better with my DJ. Hurray! :content: ) After moving around for about 5 minutes I suddenly remembered a lesser dream I had where I had supposedly become lucid. In this dream, I remember immediately looking at my hands and shouting out loud that I had finally achieved an LD. I then remember rubbing my hands together to make the scenery appear more vivid, and that’s about it.

I think this is a false LD because 1. I’ve been obsessing so much about trying to have an LD my brain probably faked one, 2. I can hardly remember it. Aren’t LD’s supposed to be the most memorable? And finally 3. Although I remember the looking at my hands and being excited, I don’t exactly feel like it was real. It’s hard to describe, but I somehow know that what I had was probably false, because when I look back it just doesn’t feel any different than my usual dreams.

So yeah. There you go. Is what I had actually a false LD, am I experiencing poor dream recall, or maybe this dream occurred in a less memorable and earlier REM stage compared to the later ones? What do you think?

Well if you were aware that you were dreaming it was a LD. From what it looks like you may have had a brief LD that just wasn’t as vivid as you wanted or expected it to be. Just one question, were you aware that you were dreaming?

Sometimes it can really be hard to tell, and if anyone can tell it’s you! (although not having had a LD before makes it a bit harder since you don’t have a reference) I’ve had some dreams where I say things like “this is a dream!” and even done RC’s which should have made me lucid. But in these I just ACT like I was lucid, there’s no click in my head. And specailly the first LD’s you should really get excieted!

So my guess is it was a FLD, but I could be wrong. LD’s can be forgotten (it’s actually kind of amazing when you remember them later (if you do)), but yes, they are usually much more memorable than NDs. So if you think you did understand at least to a certain degree that it was a dream, then you might have been lucid. But I got the impression that you just sort of acted like you understood. This might not make much sense right now :tongue:

Anyway, even if it was a FLD, take that as progress! That’s very very close to a LD! You’re so close I’ll bet you get lucid tonight :grin:

I am different in this regard, because I don’t actually feel any “huge excitement” when I get a lucid dream in the beginning, I’m just like “yep, now I’m lucid again”. :lol:
It’s when I start playing around and running and flying about that the excitement kicks in, and then wakes me up. :tongue:

That’s kind of what I was trying to describe. In the dream I remember my dream-self being all excited about lucidity, but I didn’t actually recognize that I was dreaming. It’s hard to explain this stuff, as you implied, but I see what you’re getting at.

Its all down to your gut instinct, if you don’t think it was a LD then it wasn’t. In a topic such as LD’ing there is no point lying to yourself against what you think as in the end you will know that if you call this an LD there will always be questions in your mind about it not being real. Don’t try to lie to your subconscious.

So don’t count this as an LD however take it as a sign that you are getting closer, you are thinking about LD’ing when you are asleep so its only a matter of time untill you get a full LD, and then you will have no doubt over what it was. :happy:

Happy LD’ing

I’ve had a similar dream. One time, when I was trying the WILD technique I fell asleep normally and dreamt about doing WILD. I thought I succeeded and had a LD but I hadn’t. I was doing things I would in a lucid dream but I wasn’t doing it consciously.