How did YOU learn to LD? - Part II

google also helped me :happy:

I had seen the amazing film Waking Life, and one night in my dream flipped a light switch just like he does in the movie - I did a reality check in a dream without even knowing what one was yet! Thats how I became lucid the first time, and since then have been studying any literature/video I can get my hands on.

My first LD was before I even knew what they were, or that they were a thing. I was maybe seven, eight, something like that. I dreamed I was with my Dad, we were in something that was either a bank or a dry-cleaner’s, I was waiting and waiting and waiting for him to get done, I was bored. And I knew I was dreaming. And I was bored. So I tried to wake up in order to get out of the boring, boring dream. I couldn’t figure out how, though. I tried opening my eyes really wide, in hopes that would cause my body’s eyes to open, but it didn’t. I just had to wait the dream out.

Sometime in high school I found out lucid dreaming and astral projection as things you might actually try to do–don’t recall whether it was first through books or first through online communities (I had a Prodigy account in I think 1992, there was an OBE discussion group somehow categorized under “Books”) and I remembered that dream, and I thought, “Jeez! Wasted opportunity!”

I wouldn’t say I’ve “learned” to LD. Every time I have one, it’s always random, and almost never triggered by anything in the dream. It’s pretty much always, “Hey, you know what? This is a dream!” But they have certainly happened more frequently since I decided I wanted to have them and began paying special attention to them when they showed up.

Oh, hooray, someone else who saw that movie! High five! It was fantastic and also a little creepy. Between its animation style and its surreality, it’s sort of mixed up in my head with A Scanner Darkly though.

the first time i realized lucid dreaming was actually a thing was when i was in 2nd grade girl scouts and we were supposed to draw a picture of a dream. i proceeded to tell my leaders how i can control my dreams, and they told me i was lying. some years later someone told me the name of this phenomena.

lucid dreaming has always came fairly naturally to me, so its eye opening to stumble upon this site and see people working for it and wanting to accomplish it.

i would be lucid in dreams frequently throughout my life. I didnt know there was a name for it at the time. When i was about 18 or so this kid was reading a book and talking about it and I took a look at the book. It talked about a technique where you count backward in your head from 10 to 1 then forward from 1 to ten while visualizing the numbers as you go. I tried it and it worked. ever since then i can go off into dreamland whenever the time is right

[i]im having problmes with recall ,about a month a go i was fillings pages in my journal but now i struggle to fill a page and when i do its only every second night

can anyone help me out with some tips ? :cool: [/i][/list]

Check out Improving Dream Recall. There is also the big remembering dreams topic in the stuff forum.

Well, after typing “controlling dreams” on google and finding out websites, I spend days reading about it, if not weeks. I said that I should really try it and I did. I started to do RCs, being more aware of stuff, writing down dreams and what starters do to get a lucid. After like 3 months I think of no success I give up. In like a week from that I get my first LD and I got extremely excited then I joined all kind of forums and then I got persistent with it. It’s been like a year and a month now since I started LDing and with 57 lucids, I say I’m doing quite good. Considering that I do nothing to get them… just writing dreams down. I should really really start doing ADA or something… jesus.

I was 13 years old when I first started to LD. I’m 20 now. Wow, that’s a really long time o3o
I think I first found out from lucidipedia (can’t remember if the website was up or not when I was 13)

The only dreams I remember up to the age of about 17 is seeing my head with a thought bubble next to it with a picture of a butcher with a meat cleaver. And at about age 18 I dreamt I was in a room with 4 doors and people peering in though the doors looking at me will a record player in the middle of the room was playing my favourite tune. It was almost on the point of recognizing it was a dream. I could hear my self in my mind saying . God listen to that .and wondering why…later on in my life that wondering why thought progressed into knowing why " it’s a dream that’s why" And that’s how I started lucid dreaming or I call it waking up in my dreams. Or just knowing… The is history yet to fully unfold, the strange thing about it is that it’s true…if someone could tell me it’s a load of rubbish , it would be lot easier to understand,

I first learned about LDs when I was 21. I stumbled upon DV, read about LDs, and some of the techniques used to to obtain them. It turns out that I had been having LDs for years (not frequently), I just didn’t know what what they were. After about a week of doing RCs and keeping a DJ I started having frequent LDs.

I Cant imagine been anyone else??? Try it

I learned to lucid dream by following the techniques outlined in Stephen Laberge’s Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming.

I learned by reading Stephen LeBerge books.

I tried all kinds of methods and did constant reality checks, all that I learned off the internet. Nothing worked.

My first lucid dream was during a lucid holiday and from a blind assumption that I was dreaming, I didn’t even do any reality checks because I already felt rather lucid (and lazy).

People in my school had always talked about it.
I listened to them but i never really thought it was true, until i found a self meditation lucid dreaming track on itunes.
Then i started to read about it on wikipedia and then i found this website!
:grin:

I was surfing on the Internet on dromen (dreaming) and I came on the Wikipedia dromen topic (dreaming) and I read the whole page about this topic. So I also read the lucide dromen (lucid dreaming) topic. And the next what I did was searching about lucide dromen(lucid dreaming) on the Internet. And I came on ld4all.nl the Dutch forum of ld4all. Yes I,m Dutch :wink:

I randomly got an on-and-off interest for lucid dreaming a couple of years ago, meaning that I read a lot about it at times, but I’ve always been too lazy to bother actually trying reality checks and methods and such (except for once when I did some kind of WILD thing). So when I’ve had lucid dreams, it’s been sheer luck and/or because I’ve been reading and thinking so much about it lately.

The path for me was rather hard actually, it took me a few weeks to a few months to have my first real lucid dream. When I was a young child I had them, but the I stopped myself having them (long story but the short is one of the lucid dreams scared me as a child and as I didn’t understand I avoid doing it. … funny way to look at it)

The hard part: for me it was WILD- and although I learned to use this later, it is very very hard for me to do. I struggle falling asleep at the best of times, and with aWILD I would not get any sleep at all.

Pros: being a light sleeper, it was easy to recall my dreams upon awakening, and I woke up a lot. That lead to a lot of WB2B methods, which worked in my later skill set, but to start with I kept trying to WILD which did not work. For it was all about DILD, and RC.

The biggest PRO was my desire, and focus. I spent a lot of time on this board, anda lot of time thinking about what it would be like and a lot of energy trying to make it happen. my general goal was a RC every time I looked at my watch and at least one every half an hour.

My first lucid dream came as a shock to me, lasted about…15 seconds, and I could do almost nothing special other than realise it was a dream, I recall changing what was inside a draw (one object to another) which formed part of my RC, and then pushing my hand through a wall.

From that point forwards I was hooked, as I finally understood what it was all about. I forced my consciousness into my dreams and went from LDing once every few weeks, to every few days, then to multiple times a night.

The recall for me was one of the most amazing transformations though. When I first started, it would be about 3 lines of text. At the height of my recall I could write 10 a4 pages in detail. And to this day, when I look over the first few sentences in the journal, it comes back to me in an amazing way, like no other memory. And the better I became at my recall, the better my lucid dreams became, the stronger my desire to proceed and the more emotion I carried with me, which ofcourse fed itself into an amazing experience. Limitless.

Then I stopped trying. For years they would come nightly anyway, then weekly, then my recall faded but I still have them on part. The energy has never really gone away and now I am back, its been about 10 years, funny how things work out.

So in short, focus was key, RC was key and Dream Recall was nothing short of essential. Also learn what doesn’t work for you, and then put your energy into what does until you get good at that, then re focus on other areas, and it will benefit you all around.

Happy Dreaming.
Time