What Book Are You Reading? - Part IX

Mhm, mhm :yes: The Lies of Locke Lamora is probably my favorite book in the whole world, and Locke and Jean are my favorite literary duo, hands down.

I should also finish The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. I started it, loved it, and then lost it somewhere. :confused: I’ve never read Eragon, I saw the movie first and wasn’t interested in the books after that (though I hear they’re much better).

The movie was…I prefer to pretend the movie never existed. :wink:

There are definitely portions of the books that (in my opinion) get dull or easily predictable, but overall I think it’s a good story. Or maybe I’m just easily entertained. In either case, try to completely ignore the movie when decided whether or not to read the books.

Red Sister is supposed to be a new trilogy, not set in the same world as his other works. So the character is a fresh face. But I have heard it praised by Mark Lawrence fans, so I am sure it stacks up to his previous world. :content:

Funny, I heard it described the same way! It is definitely on my to-read list. I believe En’enra also recommended I read it.

HB, If you are just getting into fantasy lately, am I correct in assuming it’s not your preferred genre? :open_mouth: What is?

En’enra, the movie was… ehhhhhh. As book movie usually go, I did like it more than others, but it chopped off quite a bit. I read Eragon way before the movie, so maybe my judgement is clouded. But like Xand, I also got bored after wading through Eldest. Xand told me Brisingr picks up again, though, so I will one day finish the series. I have heard people say Eragon stole its good parts from The Lord of the Rings (elves, dragons, magic, etc.), but it is an unfair comparison. Eragon is like if someone tried to make LOTR a Young Adult novel… I can’t say if they succeeded or not because I am yet to finish. :woah:

[size=75]/me waves to En’enra on goodreads.

Now you can stalk the fact I have read pretty much nothing.[/size]

I found Sabriel on your shelf! I totally forgot about that series. <3

Well, I don’t think that “stealing” from Tolkien is such a bad thing; LOTR is probably among the first things that fantasy authors read, so it’s natural that it leaves a mark on their work (especially for someone as young as the writer of Eragon was, 15 if I remember correctly?). And it’s such a monumental work, too. Somebody made a story map for Robert Jordan’s The Eye of the World, and it matches The Fellowship of the Ring exactly. I still don’t think that makes it a bad copy of LOTR, in fact starting off with the familiar makes a stronger foundation for a story to grow on. :content:

Anyways, I’ll put it on a list and see for myself, if I ever reach it. :happy:

Funny story with Sabriel. It was assigned reading in the Fantasy and Fiction class I took in San Francisco in 2011. It seemed my teacher was a big fan of Garth Nix and the Abhorsen series. It wasn’t until the end of last year at an Australian publishing house event that I realised Garth is actually an Aussie. He’s so internationally known, he even did signings in Ireland, and when I tell Aussies how I found his books they seem amazed that he’s well known out side of Aus! And in exciting news my bookclub gets to sit down with him next week, being about the only time he’s ever done an event with a bookclub. Now I just need to fully read Frogkisser. :content:

I totally recommend Frogkisser. It’s a “turning fairytales on their heads” sort of story, and definitely Young Adult fantasy, but it’s got such Garth Nix humour that I think everyone would enjoy it.

:thud:

I read Sabriel and Lirael more than a decade ago. Back then, my library only had those two. I’ll have to look them up again!

I’m starting the final third of A Memory of Light. :bambi:

There’s five books in the series now. Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen, Clariel and Goldenhand. The event we went to last year had an early release of Goldenhand. I believe it’s the last in the series, but who knows. ~

How’s A Memory of Light? I have Elantris sitting on my shelf and should probably read that at some point. Especially since I hear Brandon Sanderson is visiting one of our conventions here. :happy: (We’ve been getting lucky with author visits in the last few years, it is usually a rare thing to get a big authors visiting).

A Memory of Light is a perfect grand finale for the Wheel of Time series. I feel that Brandon Sanderson did an amazing job with the final three books. The difference between Jordan’s style and his own is clearly felt (Jordan’s was slow, deliberate, epic, while Sanderson’s is more casual, fast-paced, engaging), but Sanderson successfully adapted his style to Jordan’s series, which brought some much-needed fresh air into those final books.

Elantris is way different to his WoT books; being his debut novel, it has a very interesting premise and plot, but I found its ending somewhat unsatisfying. It was kind of deus ex machina and left a lot of questions unanswered (with a sequel in mind, which Sanderson keeps promising :happy: ).

If you haven’t read it yet, I recommend his first Mistborn trilogy. Not only does it fix those flaws, but it contains some of the best foreshadowing I’ve seen, which is very, very satisfying to see fulfilled.

I hope so, his previous work is absolutely brilliant.

Yeah, The Lies of Locke Lamora is an absolutely fantastic read, and the next two are brilliant too. Got book 4 preordered already.

As for my preferred genre, i’m not overly sure. I used to love reading horror novels, and military based books too, those written by Chris Ryan used to be favourites. I still love a good horror novel, never used to read much fantasy, but then most fantasy I read was all the same sort of thing. Every fantasy series I used to see was filled with elves and dwarves and wizards, the “standard fantasy setting” that became cliche and tired. I still don’t read books with that sort of setting, I find the fantasies I really enjoy have something different about them, whether it’s fantasy but a “low magic” setting, like Game of Thrones (at first), or whether it just goes “hey lets do something weird and original” like pretty much all of China Mieville’s work, or when Neil Gaiman decides to get a bit weird.

I don’t know, I got bored with “elves and dwarves and wizards and men on a quest for good against the forces of evil” as soon as I finished the Lord of the Rings books. As soon as some ambiguity and personal stakes get added in, with characters you can relate to that are more than just a force of nature, that’s when I sit up and take notice. Which is probably why I love Robin Hobb’s books so much, and why The Dresden Files books interest me as much as they do.

Have you tried the Percy Jackson series :peek:

Though I don’t know how you feel about Young Adult novels, so I don’t have many suggestions. I think En’enra reads more Adult fantasy, so she might know some good books.

I haven’t. But I certainly don’t mind YA novels, i’ve had a great time with some of them. The first Skulduggery Pleasant book was an absolute joy, really gave me the feeling that the writer was having fun as he wrote the book. Plus, I do have a signed copy of Darren Shan’s book Hells Heroes, and a photo with him from a good few years ago!

Plus, I spend a lot of time reading comics too… I have a fair collection.

I finished reading the Wheel of Time. There were tears.

When I recover, I’ll be starting Terry Pratchett’s The Colour of Magic.

Harry Potter

:rofl:

Currently reading Sworn in Steel by Douglas Hulick. It’s book 2 of Tales of the Kin. Had this series recommended to tide me through until the next Gentlemen Bastards (Scott Lynch) or Lightbringer (Brent Weeks) - as others in the thread have mentioned, both are great reads. Brent Weeks’ Night Angel trilogy is also fantastic.

Love reading fantasy and sci fi and I was thrilled to see there are apparently some fans of Robin Hobb here because I love her books.

Currently reading Nevernight and it seems fun so far.

I was literally at the launch of Darkdawn last night (the last book in the Nevernight series). :peek: I haven’t read Nervernight yet, but Jay is such a nice person that I always go to his launches when I can. :content:

Glad to hear you’re liking Nevernight!

Picked up Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman yesterday. Currently about a third of the way through and sad that it’ll probably be over too soon but I’m enjoying the process of reading some fiction again.

I’ve just finished Gene Wolfe’s “Book of the New Sun”, I devoured it all alarmingly quickly.

It’s genius, and it works on every level. Just tearing through the adventure at face value was perhaps the least rewarding part, though even that was very well done. I could tell, though, that on almost every page there was something I’ll keep coming back to, wondering at and teasing out for years, probably decades to come.

When the book begins, you think you are reading the uncannily true-to-life thoughts and memories of some Byzantine lost to history. Soon you begin to realise, with wonder, that it’s the history itself which is lost, and you are actually far in the future in a world of advanced xenobiological engineering and spaceflight. That’s only the beginning of what you can tease out with a close reading, but by the end of book 4 you’ll be amazed to reconise that the whole intricate structure was hidden in plain sight for you right from the first chapter. Beautiful.

I’m fairly easily pleased but not very easily impressed. This impressed me very seriously. It was a thundering confirmation of my opinion that science fiction and fantasy are the most important genres of literature we have today.

Hi,i am 12 and i am currently reading wonder by r.j palacio.

This book is about a boy called august pullman who gets bullied because of the way he looks,you could say he has a deformed face.Then a rumour goes on by a guy named Julian,who is the bully,that whoever touches august gets a disease like the cheese touch and only have 30 seconds to wash their hands or use a sanitiser.Sooner,everyone got fed up with rumours and were friendly to august.He once goes on a school trip and gets his hearing aid damaged and then his friends jack with a guy called amos henry and miles,these last 2 were kind of rude to him before,backed him up,he soon became popular.The moral of this book is not to be rude,everyone should have a standing ovation at least once in their life.

I also read another book before reading this called twilight.

Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett. That’s my second Discworld novel, finished Mort at the beginning of this month.