How did YOU learn to LD? - Part II

For me, initially attaining lucidity and dream control was a lot like how I learned to swim. Falling into the pool and forced to either sink or swim.

I do not control it yet, I’ve had one lucid dream. But I have a question about this. When you practice WBTB and after a while you stop setting an alarm at night, will you still get lucid dreams?

Can you get a lucid dream without WBTB? Yes. Can you WBTB without an alarm? Yes. WBTB increases your chances of becoming lucid and works with any technique, so why not do it whenever you can.

Right thanks! I’ll do it tonight then :smile:

I simply found a video and got extremely interested! :cool:

I credit poor sleep habits and regular sleep paralysis starting as a teenager. I had ample opportunity to figure it out.

First I read on the Internet about lucid dreams.Then I began to read Stephen Laberge’s books. Became write a dreams journal. In 4 months I dreamed of the first LD.
The method of “interrupted dream” worked.

Bro i needed 2 month to get my first lucid dream :happy:
I first came in contact with this whole thing with inception.
Like … everybody I think :happy: !

I read a lot of books. Spent nights in the internet reading articles and beeing in panels. I took a lot of time to get my first LD but it was worth the effort :happy:

Articles, videos, forums, etc., perusing various internet sources and gathering as much information as I could on the subject.

hey, new here, still a virgin tho :sad:
Ive been trying for a few months and nothing, I do know a lot of times that Im in a dream, but cant get lucid.
any pointers are welcomed. glgl

Hi Bruce, welcome!

Can you elaborate on what you mean by:

Generally, to know you are in a dream is the definition of being lucid. However, your level of lucidity can be across a broad spectrum, from lucid without self control to lucid and in control of every aspect of the dream.

tyty :smile:
that a couple times Ive noticed Im dreaming, but just go with whatever is happening, like I dont take control, or become “lucid enough”
I know its no hurry and it will happen when it happens, but wanted to know if somewhat went through this faze*

Yes, I believe this is fairly normal :smile:

When we dream, the logic center of our brain is not as active as when we are awake, which means we don’t always think as clearly in our dreams. This means that sometimes, even when we realize we’re dreaming, we don’t quite have the clarity to really control ourselves in the dream, or even realize we can. That is why the WBTB technique is so popular (Wake Back to Bed). Have you heard of this technique yet? In summary, you would set an alarm for 2 to 3 hours before your usual wake up time. After your alarm, you get out of bed and stay awake for between 15 minutes and an hour, without doing anything physically strenuous. This allows the logic side of your brain to reactivate while your body is still somewhat resting. You then go back to sleep and your remaining two hours of sleep (which are when we dream the most), will be full of dreams with enhanced logic capabilities. This makes it much easier to become lucid, and have improved lucidity too.

I would also suggest spending some time brainstorming and day dreaming about what you would want to do if you did become lucid, and then revisit it all again right before you go to sleep. That way if you become lucid, it may trigger this “to-do list” that you have, and may help you realize that you can choose what you do in your lucid dreams :smile:

I’m hardly one to talk, as I’ve recently had dreams where my legs aren’t even attached to my body, and I still don’t even realize something’s up, like maybe this is a dream, since that’s not even possible… talk about lack of logic :lol:

Haha tyty
I actually tried to do WBTB today, but didnt know you had to stay awake for 15min or so, will def try your suggestions

Good luck and don’t give up :content:

A girl was presenting a research project in high school on the subject of dreams. I immediately went home and preformed a google search and found this site along with LaBerge reading material. This was around 2000 I think. I had a good routine going on and off for a few years with great results. Unfortunately life got in the way and my interest waned so here I am again starting from scratch to assist with my dhamma practice. I’m extremely rusty but on the upside I’ve clocked thousands of hours of meditation since then so I’m eager to see how much it helps with lucid dreaming. :flower:

Cool, I would love to hear how you get on, and if you notice a significant advantage in LD training with your acquired mental skills from meditation. I have a firm belief that meditation can help tremendously in LDing! Even just the from the occasions where I fall out of meditation, I notice my LDing start to slide as well.

Well just had my first LD since being back on my third night of practice. I believe that’s my record after taking a long break (it’s been about a decade since I last kept a dream journal). I had one the very first night I read about lucid dreaming when I was 14 or 15 but that was probably beginner’s luck so I don’t count it. Also part of the reason I came back was I developed the ability to achieve WILD during my normal daytime meditations about a month ago. I always wanted to do that when I was a kid and never was able to without cheating (WBTB, going 24 hours without sleep, etc.) Unfortunately as I told moogle, I need my meditation sessions for meditation but it motivated me to get back in the habit with some old fashioned MILD and go for that 7-8 hours lucid goal (which I never achieved). Anyways, so far so good! I can’t tell if the meditation is responsible but normally it used to take me a good week to two weeks of recording dreams before I saw results.

I originally learned to lucid dream from following some youtube videos. I think it may have been Reece69? And some of GizEdwards videos. From watching so much lucid dreaming info I eventually started to notice dreamsigns and quite a few times of spontaneous lucidity. From there I have just absorbed as much info as I could :smile: