What Book Are You Reading? - Part IX
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  :| |:
LD4all » Lucid Lounge

#136:  Author: Arée PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug, 2019
    ----
Love reading fantasy and sci fi and I was thrilled to see there are apparently some fans of Robin Hobb here because I love her books.

Currently reading Nevernight and it seems fun so far.

#137:  Author: Eilatan PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug, 2019
    ----
Arée wrote:
Currently reading Nevernight and it seems fun so far.

I was literally at the launch of Darkdawn last night (the last book in the Nevernight series). kiekeboe I haven't read Nervernight yet, but Jay is such a nice person that I always go to his launches when I can. ^^

Glad to hear you're liking Nevernight!

#138:  Author: Emerald Wolf PostPosted: Mon 26 Aug, 2019
    ----
Picked up Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman yesterday. Currently about a third of the way through and sad that it'll probably be over too soon but I'm enjoying the process of reading some fiction again.

#139:  Author: DeRuyter001 PostPosted: Tue 14 Jan, 2020
    ----
I've just finished Gene Wolfe's "Book of the New Sun", I devoured it all alarmingly quickly.

It's genius, and it works on every level. Just tearing through the adventure at face value was perhaps the least rewarding part, though even that was very well done. I could tell, though, that on almost every page there was something I'll keep coming back to, wondering at and teasing out for years, probably decades to come.

When the book begins, you think you are reading the uncannily true-to-life thoughts and memories of some Byzantine lost to history. Soon you begin to realise, with wonder, that it's the history itself which is lost, and you are actually far in the future in a world of advanced xenobiological engineering and spaceflight. That's only the beginning of what you can tease out with a close reading, but by the end of book 4 you'll be amazed to reconise that the whole intricate structure was hidden in plain sight for you right from the first chapter. Beautiful.

I'm fairly easily pleased but not very easily impressed. This impressed me very seriously. It was a thundering confirmation of my opinion that science fiction and fantasy are the most important genres of literature we have today.

LD4all » Lucid Lounge

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  :| |:
Page 10 of 10
printed from the LD4all.com lucid dreaming forum. Content copyrighted by the author.
Lucid dreamers unite! visit LD4all.com