EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 132
2020 Vision

What Book Are You Reading? - Part IX

Author  Message 
Arée

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug, 2019  Reply with quote

Love reading fantasy and sci fi and I was thrilled to see there are apparently some fans of Robin Hobb here because I love her books.

Currently reading Nevernight and it seems fun so far.

Eilatan
The Lookout Rogue.
Head Scribe
Eilatan has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: 十&

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug, 2019  Reply with quote

Arée wrote:
Currently reading Nevernight and it seems fun so far.

I was literally at the launch of Darkdawn last night (the last book in the Nevernight series). kiekeboe I haven't read Nervernight yet, but Jay is such a nice person that I always go to his launches when I can. ^^

Glad to hear you're liking Nevernight!

Current LD goal(s): Meet my dream guide

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
Emerald Wolf
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: since 2019: 1

PostPosted: Mon 26 Aug, 2019  Reply with quote

Picked up Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman yesterday. Currently about a third of the way through and sad that it'll probably be over too soon but I'm enjoying the process of reading some fiction again.

Current LD goal(s): Stay Lucid for 1 minute
DeRuyter001
Knight Banneret
Somniologist
DeRuyter001 has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jan, 2020  Reply with quote

I've just finished Gene Wolfe's "Book of the New Sun", I devoured it all alarmingly quickly.

It's genius, and it works on every level. Just tearing through the adventure at face value was perhaps the least rewarding part, though even that was very well done. I could tell, though, that on almost every page there was something I'll keep coming back to, wondering at and teasing out for years, probably decades to come.

When the book begins, you think you are reading the uncannily true-to-life thoughts and memories of some Byzantine lost to history. Soon you begin to realise, with wonder, that it's the history itself which is lost, and you are actually far in the future in a world of advanced xenobiological engineering and spaceflight. That's only the beginning of what you can tease out with a close reading, but by the end of book 4 you'll be amazed to reconise that the whole intricate structure was hidden in plain sight for you right from the first chapter. Beautiful.

I'm fairly easily pleased but not very easily impressed. This impressed me very seriously. It was a thundering confirmation of my opinion that science fiction and fantasy are the most important genres of literature we have today.

Current LD goal(s): Bring Respiral back to life!

Link to My DJ: ld4all.com

print